Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Grant Taylor has been notified about his uncle’s passing and told that he is the only heir to his uncle Randall’s estate. In a bid to wrap up his uncle’s estate, this young university professor heads to Saint Petersburg in Russia. On his arrival at his uncle’s house, Grant comes across his uncle’s journals, which leave him wondering about the mysteries surrounding his uncle’s death. As he digs further, he finds interesting and disturbing information about a place called Zona. He sets out to uncover the truth and meets up with a survivor who made it back alive from the last expedition to Zona. They made plans to journey to Zona to find out what happened to his uncle. Find out whether Grant and his team made it to Zona and discover whether uncle Randall is dead or not by reading the suspenseful, captivating, and adventurous book titled Zona: The Forbidden Land.

Fred G. Baker’s creative writing prowess is on display in this book. The storyline, the characters, and the unpredictable plot twists in this book had me glued to this book for a long time. Baker’s ability to create a new world and describe it so vividly that the reader can imagine the world, the creatures, and their features so clearly is a skill that is not possessed by many. The smooth editing and logical arrangement of scenes enabled me to follow the story as it unfolded and enjoy it. The inclusion of a map enhanced my enjoyment of the book and added clarity.

The animals in Zona are humongous, and the vegetation is out of this world, but Baker described these features so well and provided some background information that convincingly clarified the environment in Zona. I liked the background information as it helped me understand various scenes and increased my suspense. The storyline was unique, and that was another positive. What I did not like about this book were the many sex scenes. While I understand that the environment in Zona heightened and intensified emotions, I think Baker could have channeled these effects to increase their work performance or other aspects and not only to sex.

I enjoyed this book and was delighted to be whisked to a whole new world that I had never imagined. Reading this exceptionally edited book was a delight, and I did not find any errors while reading it. Despite my disgruntlement about the sex scenes, the book was well-written and enjoyable. For these reasons, I am rating it 5 out of 5 stars.

This book is ideal for readers who enjoy fictional novels about love, romance, and science. Readers who enjoy adventures will also enjoy this one. Due to the sexual content in this book, I recommend it to mature readers only.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaylee Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-samuel.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Kaylee Samuel »

I got hooked at the mention of the journey to an unknown place. I want to know if Grant's uncle still lives and what his team discovered on their adventure.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Kaylee Samuel wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 22:13 I got hooked at the mention of the journey to an unknown place. I want to know if Grant's uncle still lives and what his team discovered on their adventure.
You'll definitely enjoy this book. Thanks for the comment
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

I have read many reviews about this book but unfortunately haven't got the chance to read it. Your review describes the book in a very interesting way. I would love to read an adventure like this. Thank you for your great review.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Arakhsh Qanit wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 13:18 I have read many reviews about this book but unfortunately haven't got the chance to read it. Your review describes the book in a very interesting way. I would love to read an adventure like this. Thank you for your great review.
Thanks for reading the review Qanit. I hope you'll get to read the book soon!
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Lead-Er-Ship by William Canary

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

I like that you wrote that there are a lot of plot twists, I love it when writers are able to executive their intended twists perfectly. This is a great review.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Khriscee1 wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 18:46 I like that you wrote that there are a lot of plot twists, I love it when writers are able to executive their intended twists perfectly. This is a great review.
Thank you for the comment Khriscee1
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I have had the privilege of reading this book and I also enjoyed it. Great review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Your review highlighted the reasons why this book is on my list as well as the reason I still haven't read it. I am intrigued by Zona but not thrilled with the inclusion of the sex scenes.
Thank you for your engaging and balanced review. The book stays on my list for now. :)
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Nqobile771 wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 21:39 I have had the privilege of reading this book and I also enjoyed it. Great review!
Thank you
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

MsH2k wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 19:30 Your review highlighted the reasons why this book is on my list as well as the reason I still haven't read it. I am intrigued by Zona but not thrilled with the inclusion of the sex scenes.
Thank you for your engaging and balanced review. The book stays on my list for now. :)
I totally understand you! Thanks for reading and engaging
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

This book does sound suspenseful, fascinating and cool. I’ll love to read. Thanks for the review.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:

Edit_or wrote: 06 Apr 2023, 17:30 This book does sound suspenseful, fascinating and cool. I’ll love to read. Thanks for the review.
I trust that you'll enjoy it

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”