Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mikail Nurur-Rahman1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahman1.html
Latest Review: Ituy by Taylor Willingham

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Mikail Nurur-Rahman1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In A Dream for Peace, Dr. Ghoulem Berrah shares his life story, from his childhood in Algeria to his journey as a medical student turned political activist and diplomat. The memoir provides insights into the challenges and opportunities that shaped Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's perspective on global politics and peace.

The memoir begins with Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's experiences growing up in Algeria, where he witnessed the oppression and discrimination of his people under French colonial rule. Despite facing numerous obstacles, he pursued his education and eventually earned a Fulbright scholarship to study in the United States. He completed his Master's and PhD at Indiana University before joining the faculty at Yale School of Medicine.

Two years later, Dr. Ghoulem Berrah left academia to work towards achieving peace and justice around the world. He accepted an offer to serve as the diplomatic adviser and special counselor to President Houphouët Boigny of Côte d'Ivoire. In this role, he worked on several global political issues, including the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and advocated for inter-religious dialogue.

What makes A Dream for Peace a unique and inspiring memoir is Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's unwavering dedication to his values and principles. Despite facing numerous challenges and setbacks throughout his life, he remained committed to his vision of a peaceful world. He was able to achieve significant accomplishments in his political career while staying true to his Muslim faith and principles.

Overall, A Dream for Peace is a compelling memoir that offers insights into the life of an exceptional individual who dedicated his life to making the world a better place. Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's story is a reminder that even in the face of adversity, one can make a difference by staying committed to their values and beliefs.

One aspect of the book that I particularly enjoyed was the author's ability to weave together his personal story with the larger historical and political events of his time. Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's experiences as a medical student turned freedom fighter in Algeria, his time as a scholar in the United States, and his work as a diplomat for peace and interreligious dialogue are all fascinating on their own, but the author's skillful storytelling and attention to detail make them come alive on the page.

Overall, I highly recommend A Dream for Peace to anyone interested in the history and politics of Algeria, Africa, and the Arab world, as well as to anyone interested in the art of diplomacy and conflict resolution. The book's editing and writing are also excellent - the text is well-organized and flows smoothly from one chapter to the next, and the author's prose is both engaging and insightful.

In terms of a rating, I would give A Dream for Peace a solid 4 out of 5. While I thoroughly enjoyed the book and learned a great deal from it, there were a few moments where I felt that the narrative dragged or became overly detailed. Additionally, while the author's dedication to peace and interreligious dialogue is admirable, at times I found his idealism to be somewhat naive. Nonetheless, these minor criticisms do not detract from the overall quality and importance of the book, and I would certainly recommend it to others.

In conclusion, A Dream for Peace is an insightful and engaging memoir that tells the story of an exceptional individual who dedicated his life to making the world a better place. The book's excellent editing and writing make it a pleasure to read, and its important message of perseverance and dedication to one's values is sure to inspire readers.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Just a few people dedicated their life to aiming for peace in the world. Dr. Berrah has a golden heart to serve africa. I agree with what you mentioned here about him. Your review is amazing!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

What a wonderful story Dr. Berrah has, I love that he chose to share it with the world. It seems to be an interesting, well-planned and thought out book. It is also written and edited exceptionally well. Thanks so much for a great review!
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's story is inspiring. And there's something about learning history from the people who lived it. I enjoyed reading this book a lot. Great review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”