Review of I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

Post by Uche Active »

[Following is a volunteer review of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you read the Bible? How well acquainted are you with the stories in the Bible? Have you ever met difficulties in understanding Bible stories, probably because of the diction used or other factors?

The author presents some stories in the Old Testament differently in this book titled I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories. The book starts from the first chapter and verse of Genesis, where we have the creation story, and goes through the times of the Israelites’ suffering and redemption. The book features stories of ancient kings that were both good and bad, such as King David, King Saul, King Solomon, King Darius, and many others. It also told us the story of the prophets in those times, like Elijah and Samuel. The stories captured the development of the world. Read up on the historical stories in this book.

The author of this book is Val D. Greenwood, and the illustrations were done by Owen Richardson. The author wrote the book just like the Bible, with divisions such as verses. One may then ask why they should get and read this book when it is the same as the Bible. The answer is that the unique thing about this book is that it contains only Old Testament stories and that it was written in simpler terms. The author modified the Bible stories using simple language, easy pronouns, and simple styles, which made for an easier understanding of the book.

The thing I loved most about this book is that it also included elements that made it unique. The author provided maps, illustrations, a pronunciation guide, a name index, a subject index, and a bibliography. The author also substituted the measures used in the Bible for their modern equivalents. All this helped me enjoy my reading and understand the story better. For example, the specifications of the ark that God instructed Noah to build became clearer.

However, I must protest about the book’s title. Indeed, the book’s title is captivating. However, it does not reflect the entire book’s contents. Also, there is confusion when the author says that there were elements previously on earth, which is contrary to the Bible, which says that the planet was void at the beginning. Also, I found some errors in the book. For these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. Regardless, the book was superb. The author even provided readers with a comprehensive table of contents.

I recommend this book to Christians or any religion whose faith agrees with the Old Testament, such as the Jews. Religious scholars are also welcome to read it, and it might be of help for research purposes.

I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

"I will make thee a great nation" but I can't find "Abraham" in your review? The fifth paragraph explains in though. Biblical stories and exposures are intriguing to me and I will love to read this one. Nice review.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

I love books like this because they help one to have a better perspective and understanding of some biblical stories that would have been difficult to decipher. Beautiful review. I enjoyed reading it.
Francis Ignacio
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

When I read the Bible sometimes and this happens for old testament books, I get confused by the kind of language used there but this book gives us these stories in simple languages that are easy to understand.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I will love to read this book to know the difference between this and the real Bible. The author really did well to include material that will make the book easier to understand. Thanks for an honest review.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

It's amazing how the substituted the measures used in the Bible for their modern equivalents. That's quite commendable.
I look forward to reading this book.
Thanks for your inviting review.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

This seems like a book a new convert will love to read. I will love to read this someday, so far as it isn't voluminous. Well done on this review.
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

Such books make it easier for people to understand and navigate centered topics of the Bible. From your review, this book is nice so I can't complain. Nice work.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

I am a Christian and this kind of book appeals to me so much. Thanks for the review.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like an intriguing Christain book. There have been a lot of misconception concerning the Old Testament. I hope this book will clear my cousin on that. I will add this to my TBR list. Well done.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html

Post by Reader_noc »

The book seems to capture most of the stories in the old testament of the scriptures. I wonder what perspectives these stories were retold in.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

I understand the author's goal with this book, but I also know that there are other Bible versions written in quite simple terms. What stands out to me though are the included elements--maps, illustrations, a pronunciation guide, etc. They are a nice touch indeed. Nice review.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Many so-called Christians can not defend their fate when found in a difficult situation, why is that? Because they arr not familiar with their bibles.
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

One particular thing I like about biblical fiction is that it tries to clear the gap of what is not told in the Bible. I believe this book would also do the same in the story of this ancient Kings. I look forward to reading the book.
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

I appreciate the reviewer's attention to detail in noting the lack of a glossary. This is a small but important detail that could have made the book more accessible to readers.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”