Review of Final Notice

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Final Notice

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you knew that you were going to die in just a few days? Would you try to improve your legacy, change the world, or look for revenge without fear of consequences? Van Fleisher explores these questions and the moral implications of the different options in this realistic near-future story. Although with a component of science fiction, Final Notice is an analysis of some of the main concerns for the actual American society, including gun control, political corruption, migration policies, and respect for the older generations. Van Fleisher brings a mature story with all the components to attract the public, showing that he has the recipe for becoming a name to follow with interest.

I found this novel very easy and fast to read. I enjoyed the quick swapping between characters, which keeps the reader connected to the different stories. As a reader, you can see how the characters develop throughout the chapters and how various events influence on their personalities. I like how the author has managed the fact of writing a story planned for three novels. Other writers would have left the story interrupted, leaving the reader in the middle of the plot, using this as an attraction to buy and read the second book. Van Fleisher saves the readers from this frustration, gives them a whole story, and trusts the plot’s quality and the characters’ depth to be the reason to come back for more.

I didn’t engage with the moments when it looks like the author attempts to break the fourth wall and he talks directly to the reader. I appreciated the fact of trying something different, although it happens too suddenly and doesn’t feel natural. It gave me the sensation of finding something that shouldn’t be there, as an editor’s note, more than an intentional attempt to reach the public.

I found some errors in the text, although those are minor errors and don’t interfere with the reading experience. Because of all of the above, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I would have given the remaining star if it wasn’t because of the errors.

This book could be considered science fiction because of some of its ideas. However, those same ideas seem realistic, and it isn’t necessary to be a fan of the genre to enjoy the storyline. There are references to massive shootings, suicide, and violence, with some descriptions of attacks against vulnerable groups, including children. Although these incidents aren’t developed with many details, this could need to be considered if the reader prefers to avoid this kind of content.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I totally agree that the attempts to talk directly to the reader were abrupt! Your review perfectly summarizes the book. Good job! I'm glad I found your page.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 02:56 I totally agree that the attempts to talk directly to the reader were abrupt! Your review perfectly summarizes the book. Good job! I'm glad I found your page.
Thank you!! Really appreciate your words and that you took time to write them!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”