Review of Pandora's Lockbox

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Review of Pandora's Lockbox

Post by Emily Meadows »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pandora's Lockbox" by Nico Griffith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Pandora’s Lockbox by Nico Griffith is a book of true, funny, and wild stories about the life of a real estate agent in the 1980s and early 1990s. After a series of unfortunate events, including the loss of her marriage and the failure of the mortgage company she owned, Nico Griffith turned to real estate. She got hired by Fakke & Company, hoping that her background in the mortgage industry would help her become a successful real estate agent. She did become successful. Along her path to success, Nico and her real estate friends and colleagues had crazy experiences that are documented in this book.

Every story in this book is different. Many of the stories are about the people that Nico helped find houses and the things they encountered in the process. In one story, Nico and her clients (a couple with their young child) were surprised to find a naked homeless man drinking a beer and eating a can of food in the living room of the house they were viewing. This resulted in lots of screaming and the man disappearing (with his beer in hand). Nico’s description of the man’s naked body and silver-hued pubic hair is laugh-out-loud funny.

Above all, this is a book about survival; Nico worked incredibly hard to turn her life around and filled a book with the stories she gathered along the way. This made it an enjoyable book to read, and it had me laughing in some chapters and crying in others. I really liked the book. I could just picture Nico and her friends sitting with her fellow agents, having a sundowner, and laughing at each other's experiences that week. Or meeting at their local bar, Murphy’s, to have a glass of wine and swap stories.

There wasn’t much I didn’t like about this book. I appreciated that every story had its place in the book, and I never doubted the veracity of the sometimes scandalous stories Nico told. If there was anything I would change about the book, it would be the number of errors in the text. There were a good number of typos that were distracting to me.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The stories were memorable and fun to read. However, the number of typos in the text was enough to make me take one star away from the book’s rating. I would recommend this book to real estate agents. I can only imagine how relatable Nico’s stories would be to people in the same profession! I would also recommend this book to anyone who is looking to buy a home with the help of a real estate agent; the stories in the book will help bring levity to what can be a very stressful process.

Pandora's Lockbox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I expected something different from the book's title. I'm glad the stories were enjoyable to read. Thanks for this detailed recommendation.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I never thought that was some of the content of the book. It looks like a lot of funny and shocking scenarios Nico had as a real estate agent. Your review is unique!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”