Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Goodness Azuka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Think of crossing continents by water. Think about and imagine yourself in those places you watch in documentaries. Think of an encounter with wild animals. Think of Africa and, generally, the beauty of nature. Tina Dreffin writes about her adventurous life in this book titled Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa.

The younger Tina suffered sexual assault. Her rape encounter with her interviewer, Thomas, leaves her traumatized. Tina is a natural lover of travel and adventure. She dreams of travelling the globe and having every experience she can. She meets the love of her life at her own brother’s wedding. The sailor, Peter, was present for the wedding that happened at Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Peter had invited sailing enthusiasts to the wedding party out on the lake that afternoon. While others had excuses, Tina was the only taker, even though she hadn’t ever sailed. Tina and Peter got married afterwards and had two sons. Yes, Peter shared her adventurous dreams and was supportive. Their sons were also marvellous adventurers. This time, the family will be sailing through Africa! Tina called this episode The South Pacific Expedition. Read Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa to journey with Tina and her family and experience this beautiful adventure.

Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa is a memoir written by Tina Dreffin. The book has 23 chapters. This memoir explores the pain, adversity, and despair that Tina experienced as a woman. It also expresses her strength, desperation, and determination to heal from negative experiences. It describes the ability to find light in the dark. I admired Tina’s courage in opening up to a man after all that she went through. Tina found not only love but also a victory. She found a way to laugh into her emotional survival, but will it last?

There are a lot of things I like about this book. The title was captivating. I like the subtitle too. It was thoughtful of the author to include geographical maps and pictures. I could imagine sailing with them and enjoying the beauty of nature. The challenges of the journey are well expressed too. I like the author’s ability to convert her weaknesses into strengths. I like that the author could successfully take us back and forth from her past to the present. I also like that Peter and his sons were courageous and zealous about the adventure despite the spoilers from Dude. I appreciate that the author exposed contemporary issues like sexual assaults in employment or positions.

If there was anything I disliked about this book, it was that the throwbacks seemed to be overwhelming sometimes. It made me want to skip to the present situation and continue the adventure. Some of the stories were not lucid. Besides that, the book was professionally well-edited, as I encountered only a few minor errors while reading. Therefore, I rate Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa five out of five stars. My favourite thing about the book was being ushered into each chapter by inspiring quotes.

I recommend this book to nonfiction lovers, lovers of adventures and women who seek a way to heal from emotional scars.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekaete Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Tina was such a superb character in this book, I really enjoyed the story she told about her childhood. It was inspirational. We should all get to enjoy like that.
Jeffery King 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeffery-king-1.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Jeffery King 1 »

This family adventure was filled with love and adventure. Tina dreffin needed to write and I love how her story may have an impact on the society
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

Such a beautiful love story for me. Finding someone who loves you and makes you feel whole after a rough past. This doesn't work out for many people. Exploring South Africa was another thing. I really wonder what gave them that idea.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

I love the introductory part of this review. I am already down imagination lane and I can't wait to get started on this book and experience the adventures. Thanks for an interesting review.
Stephen Grace Wonders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-grace-wonders.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Stephen Grace Wonders »

I enjoy books that provide hope that someone could find the light after much darkness. I'm glad Tina could find true love in the end, not just that, but I'm glad she found someone who could accommodate her dreams and passion. It's rare to find these days, they'll rather tell you "You can't have it all", I'm glad she did, and I pray we all do in the end!
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

Tina Dreffin is an adventurer and used this memoir to tell of her adventures in Africa. The book also talk about some of her personal challenges and gave advises on several situations we find ourself. Good review.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

Womanhood is a very critical stage of life. Tina story was so touching and this journey is ment to take give her relief from her different life ordeals. I enjoy this book.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

This book makes me thirst for a family adventure like Tina Dreffin and her family. And I would love to experience the beauty of nature and the sea like Tina and her family did.
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

I recently read this book and I must commend Tina's bravery to write about the traumas she encountered throughout her journey. This is the type of memoir that'll serve as motivation for others out there.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

I admire that the author had the courage to open up and tell her story -- the beautiful and the ugly. It takes a level of vulnerability and courage to do this and have others learn from your experiences.
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

This book seems like one that would take readers on a lot of adventure. I can see that Tina Dreffin enjoys travelling and will the book talks about her expeditions in Africa. Thanks for the review.
Favour Chiedozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-chiedozie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Favour Chiedozie »

The adventurous life of Tina was what I liked about this book. Her courage achieved her a lot, like getting married to Peter, who also supported her adventurous life. I'm looking forward to reading this book.
Mariam Ibraheem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-ibraheem.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Mariam Ibraheem »

I want to go on a family adventure like Tina Dreffin and her family after reading this book. And like Tina and her family, I too would love to enjoy the natural and maritime beauties.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

Tina's story is an encouragement and push for readers to do what they love. I would want to experience the adventure part of this story. The sea is beautiful and it deserves everyday human eyes.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”