Review of Dying Well

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review of Dying Well

Post by Jê hii »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dying Well" by Susan Ducharme Hoben.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Most times, I ask, "What is life all about?"
Life is a strong four-letter word that lives all through our existence but terminates in a twinkle of an eye. Life can last for quite a long time but can disappear within the shortest of times. Not even the best science or the most advanced technology can make life everlasting. Indeed, we live to die. Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben is a story of love and loss that hints at the delicacy and frailty of life. It revolves around a couple who battle with the infamous terminal disease—cancer—while trying to live life to the fullest.

The story begins with Sue, who has been diagnosed with myxoma. She finds it difficult to come to terms with the reality of living with the tumor, as numerous thoughts of death run through her mind.  Her husband, Bruce, proved quite supportive and assures her she will make it through. After a successful operation, Susan acknowledges the fact that good health and life are the greatest gifts ever.
Bruce is later diagnosed with cancer and comes to terms with the reality of his impending death. He and Susan made the last few months of his life as lovely as possible.

Dying Well is narrated from the first person's point of view. In this book, the author describes how it is really possible to live life to the fullest even with “dreaded" cancer. She did a great job of taking the suspense that comes with news of a fatal diagnosis out of the book. She presents death as being common to all human beings and gives some advice on how to care for loved ones who are facing death. The book is really expository and teaches a lot of life lessons. It is well edited, and the words used are unambiguous. 
I did not notice any grammatical or typographical errors while reading.

I noticed the use of dates in the course of the narration, but I found it a bit difficult to link the events as they were interwoven. I also think the book is too long for the message it tries to convey to the readers.

I rate this book five out of five stars. Apart from the interwoven sequence of events, I did not find anything else wrong with the book.
I recommend this book for lovers of health, lovers of non-fiction, and those whose family members are faced with a terminal disease.

Dying Well
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I loved your opening paragraph. Life is indeed a strong four-letter word. It is inevitable, but when we have warning of its approach, it is a reminder to cherish our time. Thank you for your thoughtful review and honest take.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I agree with MsH2k that your opening paragraph is great. I liked your review andnm the topic of the book is touching. Your review is very complete.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I am a lover of health. That is one of my ultimate goals - Health. Susan and Bruce are two strong people who battled terminal illnesses. I want to know from their perspective how to live life to the fullest. Your review is wonderful!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Jê hii
Currently Reading:

Post by Jê hii »

MsH2k wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 17:53 I loved your opening paragraph. Life is indeed a strong four-letter word. It is inevitable, but when we have warning of its approach, it is a reminder to cherish our time. Thank you for your thoughtful review and honest take.
Thank you.
I really appreciate
Jê hii
Currently Reading:

Post by Jê hii »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 04:55 I am a lover of health. That is one of my ultimate goals - Health. Susan and Bruce are two strong people who battled terminal illnesses. I want to know from their perspective how to live life to the fullest. Your review is wonderful!
Thank you for your response.
You can read the book to find out more.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:

Post by Jê hii »

:tiphat:
Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 02:06 I agree with MsH2k that your opening paragraph is great. I liked your review andnm the topic of the book is touching. Your review is very complete.
Thank you! I am encouraged by this.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:

Post by Jê hii »

Reading this book, I discovered that good health is invaluable.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Your opening of the review is heart-touching, and I can't help but completely agree with you. Life is too valuable to waste, as death is always around the corner and does not discriminate between young and old, healthy and ill. Thanks for this amazingly detailed review. 
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:

Post by Jê hii »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 17:49 Your opening of the review is heart-touching, and I can't help but completely agree with you. Life is too valuable to waste, as death is always around the corner and does not discriminate between young and old, healthy and ill. Thanks for this amazingly detailed review. 
Thank you for your encouraging response.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

This book is a reminder to all those who are still healthy that life is short. Many of us, unfortunately, don't see good health as a blessing until it's too late. So, live life to the fullest and enjoy the small joys and happy moments. That is what will bring you peace. Thank you for this insightful review.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”