Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutuma Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutuma-clare.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Terms of Service

Post by Mutuma Clare »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kim is employed by a large AI company and already lives quite a decent life, despite a few disagreements with the refrigerator. Her friend Shan was burnished to the outer districts, and her life has not been very smooth. But what had caused the ban? And why was Kim's punishment not as severe? Soon Shan's ban is lifted, and the two friends link up again, only to break more rules. The director and the heirachy are not happy with Kim and are loath to let her go because of her incredible work training Kimberly. Will Kim give up her freedom and conform?

Imagine a world where artificial intelligence and virtual reality are so advanced that everything is automated. The fridges are intelligent and decide what you will eat. Every aspect is controlled by the touch of a button or text, including dating. Is this a bad thing or a good thing? This is the world Kim is living in.

Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill is one of the most thought-provoking books you will ever read. It reminded me of Elon Musk being interviewed one time, and when asked which was the greatest danger of our time, he said it was artificial intelligence used wrongly or left in the wrong hands. This book pushed me to think about artificial intelligence from different angles, both positive and negative, and this is what I loved most about the book. I also loved how the author's descriptions were so vivid; it was almost like watching a movie. This book would not have been complete without the good work of the editors. They did an exceptional job, and this contributed to the overall beauty of the book.

Science fiction books can be tedious to read, but this is an exception. Actually, I found most things in the book highly relevant to the world today. I did not find anything in particular to dislike about this book, but for the purpose of positive criticism, I would say I would have loved to see the book continue. For example, find out how Kim utilizes her new-found freedom or how she coped in harsh District 33. 

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because of how effective it is at passing on the intended message. The book is also entertaining and educational. This makes it a unique and amazing work of fiction. I recommend the book to people who love science fiction.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I agree that the AI fridge is sometimes annoying since it gives Kim what she doesn't want, instead of what's good for her. It's good for people who are on diet :lol: Your review is wonderful.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”