Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War is a book about technology, terrorism, and romance written by Dorothy May Mercer. Cynthia is an independent, intelligent woman who works for a private investigative firm alongside her brother Glenn. Her love for her job and her country drives her to expose those behind terrorist sects that recruit young people all over the world for their organization. She named the mission "Cyber War."

Cynthia had a date with her longtime lover, Dan, after work. Dan gave her a distress call to take cover as she was making her way to the event, warning that a drone had likely struck the White House. She encountered an unknown man named Sky who offered to guide her home through the chaotic traffic so she could figure out what was going on. She and Sky developed feelings for each other after meeting that night, endangering her relationship with Dan. What will be Dan's reaction if he finds out? What happens to Sky, and how did they both end? Get the book and find out.

Both the author's writing style and the story's plot appealed to me. I had no trouble reading the book or comprehending the characters, even though it is part of the McBride Romance Suspense series.

The book's unpredictable nature was another aspect I enjoyed. Once you think you know what will happen next, the author changes the perspective and keeps you turning the pages. For example, when Cynthia's employees couldn't discover anything on Sky, I had a different idea of who he might be in my mind. But when his personality was revealed, I was shocked since I had the wrong impression of him. I also appreciated how distinct and well-developed each character was in the novel. The friendship between Tim, Garth, and Glenn and their accomplishments were interesting to read about.

Unfortunately, I can't say I agree with everything in the book; the narrative seems unrealistic when Cynthia goes home with Sky knowing what is at stake and how sensitive her position is. Also, Dan was not given full attention in the book; based on the title, the book should focus primarily on Cynthia and Dan, with other characters following. For these reasons, I give this book four out of five stars.

There were no errors identified in the book, which indicates excellent editing. In my opinion, adults, technology students, and military men who are not offended by foul language or sexual content in a novel should read this book. Reading this amazing masterpiece will also be enjoyable for fans of fiction and romance novels.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Americas Revival by Kathryn Garten and Christopher Garten

Post by Merits Anih »

Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War by Dorothy May Mercer is a well-written and engaging work of fiction that explores complex relationships, loyalty, and betrayal in the context of high-stakes espionage. Consequences of Cynthia's actions adds an extra layer of emotional depth to the story.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Cynthia and Dan is one of the best book I have ever read. The teamwork in the book is what everyone should learn. Good job.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Cynthia and her brother Glen are such wonderful. I admire the tactic on tracking the territories group. Good job on the book.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The book's use of multiple plot threads adds an extra layer of intrigue to the story. The motivations behind terrorist activities is a fascinating aspect of the story. The concept of family loyalty is a poignant aspect of the story.
Michael Browny
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-browny.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Michael Browny »

The role of technology in modern-day espionage adds an extra layer of intrigue to the story. The book's exploration of the impact of terrorism on society and individuals is a thought-provoking aspect of the story.
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

Cynthia and Dan is such a great fiction book. Am curious to see how it goes with Cynthia and Sky, will this meeting be a test to their relationship. The cyber attack is also another storyline, I would like to see how it goes. Congratulations on the review!
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-offdavis.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by David Offdavis »

The sacrifices that must be made in the name of national security is thought-provoking and adds an extra layer of complexity to the story. The sibling dynamic between Cynthia and Glenn adds an emotional resonance to the story.
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

Cynthia is a courageous woman despite her love life not being too estimable. She was in a secret relationship with Sky while dating Dan. Good, her love life didn't affect her fight against cybercrime.
Kelly Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-peter.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Kelly Peter »

I had a great time reading this book it has an excellent plot that piqued my interest from the opening chapter. Nice review.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

Cynthia and Dan is one story enjoyed reading from the first to the very last page. I am most thrilled by the suspense in it and how the story ended.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

A book about romance and suspense is an interesting one. Cynthia Is my favorite character in the book. Your review is nice.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

Cynthia is a brave woman. She made a step that only a few women can make. This book must be interesting. Good job on this review.
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

What a great review you have here. I'm tempted to pick up the book to learn more after reading this. Amazing review.  Thank you. 
Ayilaran Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayilaran-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ayilaran Emmanuel »

Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer was a good book. The premise of the novel is excellent, and the characters are well-rounded. Good review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”