Review of In the End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Review of In the End

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

[Following is a volunteer review of "In the End" by Ken Saik.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sampson was partying with eleven of his friends in his two-car garage, which they called the man cave. Unknown to them, the garage had been swallowed by a sinkhole. The unfortunate incident happened after about two days of heavy rain. Sampson's father, Mr. Sanfield, did not notice the incident at first, as he had just ended a call with one of the boys' fathers, in which he assured him that the boys were just having fun and that they were okay. After ending the call, he decided to go check on them at the garage, and he noticed that the garage had sunk down. He called out to the boys, hoping he would hear them, but there was no response. He called 911, and after a first responder got there, he went down the sinkhole with the help of his men, but still there was no sign of the boys. After several attempts, they gave up, thinking that they had lost the boys. The parents of the twelve boys were in shock as a result of the incident. After the boys noticed that they had been swallowed by the sinkhole, Calvin and Arny volunteered to try climbing to the surface to get help. Did they succeed? Discover more about that when you read this book.

In the End by Ken Saik discusses the incident of the twelve boys that happened in Pine Valley. The incident was tragic and made Mr. Sanfield feel guilty and responsible for what happened to the boys. After giving this book a read, I acknowledged the way Mr. Sanfield and other parents who got their kids involved encouraged and supported each other. I understood what true friendship means to the boys as they all decided not to go through a particular tunnel because of Arny's injured leg, even after observing that the tunnel would have gotten them to the surface.

What I loved most about this book was the fact that the parents of the kids involved in the incident didn't start blaming each other for it. I also admired the strength and courage that were exercised by the boys as Calvin and Arny made their first attempts at climbing to the surface to call for help. I felt the compassion that Calvin had for Arny as he endangered his life while trying to get cold water from the waterfall in the crevice to compress Arny's swollen leg, not minding if he fell or not. While in the tunnel, I admired how the boys cooperated to find an escape route, and their desire to stick together while trying to get their task done amazed me.

I didn't enjoy or like how the book ended, as I expected a more happy ending than it did. Apart from this, the book was intriguing to read as I learned from the boys' confidence, courage, and struggles. This book contains a few errors, as I noticed while reading, which leads me to the conclusion that it was professionally edited. Following my likes above, I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of adventure and those who would love to know the meaning of true friendship, as they would learn from the actions of Sampson and his friends.

In the End
View: on Bookshelves
Ekaete Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

This book has one unique thing about it and that is its book cover. It shows a perfect representation of the book, which is something not every author takes note about.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The book teaches how to sacrifice, and value friendship. It is for readers how to discover themselves and practice courage. I was blown away by how the story ended in the Vanna. Your review is wonderful!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Fams Pee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fams-pee.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Fams Pee »

I applaud the boys cooperation and how they maintained a calm state of mind even in the distress. I hope they were able to exit the sinkhole safely and reunite with their parents. Thanks for giving a simple and concise review.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I sincerely hope all the twelve boys survived the sinking. I can imagine how they would feel being trapped in the hole. Wonderful review well done .
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

True friendship is important. This book is incredible I would love to read more about it because I love adventures. Great review I love it
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

An interesting story. Now I can't stop thinking about what is gonna happen to the boys. Your review is very attracting and interesting. I will surely read it to find out more. Thank you for the review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"In the End" by Ken Saik seem to be an interesting book. I will read to know if the boys managed to escape from the sinkhole. Thanks for the review.
Kaylee Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-samuel.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Kaylee Samuel »

I can understand how sad their parents will feel especially Sampson's father. I would love to know how and if the boys got to the surface.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I applaud the boys’ effort to be there for each other even though it looked like it was not going to be possible. I’ll really love to read this book.
Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin
Favorite Book: The Inner CEO
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boluwatife-ade-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin »

Cooperation has never done anything in vain. The power of togetherness can never be overemphasized, I admire the strength of the boys. I also love the fact that the parents didn't blame Sampson's father for the incident, most times humans are quick in passing blame instead of looking for a way out. Great review.
Kelly Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-peter.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Kelly Peter »

This is a wonderful read I must say. I must commend the effort of the author for such a wonderful piece. Nice review.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

This novel has an interesting storyline, I would love to read this novel to understand the author's perspective about the sinkhole.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

I love the boys' effort and how they stuck together, though I still wonder what their parents would feel like when they noticed what had happened to their children.
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

I love this! I appreciate the love and support displayed by the characters in the book. Losing twelve children in one night? I wonder how devastated, not only the parents of the boys but the whole town will be. Well done!
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”