Review of Just Die

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Review of Just Die

Post by Catalina Isabel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Just Die" by E Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Imagine waking up from a stroke, unable to speak or move, only to be grateful as you realize you’re alright after all. Imagine shortly after, figuring out that you have unexplainably obtained the ability to kill any person or animal by simply saying the words “just die" as you point your finger at them. This is what happens to Jake Silver in the supernatural thriller Just Die by E. Alan Fleischauer. The initial plot, however, is only one of the many intriguing things this book has to offer. You will join former financial planner Jake, his fiancée Beth Ann, and their football legend friend Omar, as they discover what he can really do. When the implications of this newfound power dawn on them, a series of twists and turns unfold. Is this a blessing or a curse? What will Jake do with this new ability, if anything at all? Will he stay this way forever?

This book kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading. The protagonist is a very likeable character, with great wit and a unique moral compass, which adds meaning and humor to the story. The unique storyline is expanded by exploring well-developed characters and their own differing life stories. I loved the fact that we see a lot of depth in the characters that surround Jake; from his immediate circle, to lawyers, drug users, and special agents. The author does an excellent job of giving the reader an insight into the minds of many different people as we go through their journeys alongside them.

This book was exceptionally well edited, as I only found one very minor error, which did not take away from the enjoyment of the book at all. If anything, the only negative thing I found in the book was that there is no continuation of it yet. I became so invested in the characters' lives that I wanted to know more about what happened next, which really does show how enjoyable it was.

With these points in mind, I am happy to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. It was interesting and witty, with great real-life scenarios, suspense, and heartfelt stories all in one book.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone over 18, even if this is not your usual genre. I would not recommend it to anyone who doesn't like reading about death, drug-use, child abuse, or murder. Even though these themes aren’t described in too much detail, they are covered in the book and may upset a younger audience. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it difficult to criticize. I look forward to reading some of E. Alan Fleischauer's other work, and if he chooses to write part two of this book, I would be first in line. 

Just Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: The Fairy Tale of Peckham Rye Park by MeM Tekari

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

You got me at the first paragraph really. I can't imagine having such powers. I also like that it kept you at the edge of your sit, shows how much of an interesting piece it is. Nice Review
Catalina Isabel

Khriscee1 wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 19:38 You got me at the first paragraph really. I can't imagine having such powers. I also like that it kept you at the edge of your sit, shows how much of an interesting piece it is. Nice Review
Yes it definitely is interesting to see how one would feel with those powers - I think I'd definitely be too scared to use them! But the main character does have a great moral compass so, without giving away the whole book, I do highly recommend giving it a go! Thanks for your comment :)
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

For me, it's a curse. It's so scary someone just pointed at you saying Just die and you die immediately. But, it sounds interesting to read about. Your review is great!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Catalina Isabel

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 03:50 For me, it's a curse. It's so scary someone just pointed at you saying Just die and you die immediately. But, it sounds interesting to read about. Your review is great!
Yes I totally agree, it would be scary. Definitely an interesting storyline I think, and a unique one. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

I have read this book and I got to say it is one of a kind. An amazing story with an interesting content. Reading your review, I just imagined myself reading through the book again. Thank you for the great review.
Catalina Isabel

Arakhsh Qanit wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 04:10 I have read this book and I got to say it is one of a kind. An amazing story with an interesting content. Reading your review, I just imagined myself reading through the book again. Thank you for the great review.
Thanks so much for your comment! And lovely to hear that you also read and loved this book. Would you also be interested in part 2? I read somewhere that the author was thinking of writing this 😊
Book owly
Currently Reading:

Post by Book owly »

Catalina Aspinall wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 04:17
Arakhsh Qanit wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 04:10 I have read this book and I got to say it is one of a kind. An amazing story with an interesting content. Reading your review, I just imagined myself reading through the book again. Thank you for the great review.
Thanks so much for your comment! And lovely to hear that you also read and loved this book. Would you also be interested in part 2? I read somewhere that the author was thinking of writing this 😊
Tnx. Yeah I would love to read the part 2 if the author writes one. I think there should be a part 2 because the book didn't end as I was expecting. Thats why I think the story will have to continue. What do you think ?
Catalina Isabel

Arakhsh Qanit wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 04:27
Yes, definitely. Without giving away the whole story to those who haven't read it, the ending seemed a little abrupt. Not in a disappointing way, but in a "I need more and could read a whole book about it" kind of way! There is more to explore, and I did love a lot of the characters so would be interested in a 2nd one.

Tnx. Yeah I would love to read the part 2 if the author writes one. I think there should be a part 2 because the book didn't end as I was expecting. Thats why I think the story will have to continue. What do you think ?
Book owly
Currently Reading:

Post by Book owly »

Yes, definitely. Without giving away the whole story to those who haven't read it, the ending seemed a little abrupt. Not in a disappointing way, but in a "I need more and could read a whole book about it" kind of way! There is more to explore, and I did love a lot of the characters so would be interested in a 2nd one.

Yeah, generally the book is amazing and the characters were perfect suited to the plot. Let's just wait and see if there is gonna be a 2nd one. Again thank you for your nice review.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html

Post by Jê hii »

I love your honest review. Personally, I believe we should always find a way to live the best of our lives.
Life can never be perfect.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

That amount of power, the privilege to play God, would be crazy for me, a burden actually. From your summary, the book seems fascinating and I hope to read it. Great review.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Catalina Isabel

Ifechi Angela wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 05:50 I love your honest review. Personally, I believe we should always find a way to live the best of our lives.
Life can never be perfect.
Yes I totally agree! This book is a great example of that. Thanks so much for stopping by 😊
Catalina Isabel

Blackstenius wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 06:00 That amount of power, the privilege to play God, would be crazy for me, a burden actually. From your summary, the book seems fascinating and I hope to read it. Great review.
Yes those were my exact thoughts, it would be scary to have that ability! Please let me know what you think if you do read it. Thanks for stopping by 😊
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Truthfully, looking at the cover, I wasn't keen on reviewing this book. But your summary has made me reconsider. Thank you for this lovely review, Catalina.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”