Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mmesoma Dieli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencer-baker.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Mmesoma Dieli »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I’ve always wondered what the world would be like if magic existed. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz takes readers on an adventure filled with suspense. Hillport, a great city in Voulhire, is in search of a new leader. The previous leader, Lord Meldorath, treated the people badly and ran the economy into the ground. The king of Voulhire, Wilhelm Arcolo, appoints Eldus to be the new ruler of Hillport. Eldus moves to Hillport immediately with his family to get started.

Meanwhile, Galen Bray, a young man from the Land of Princes, gets invited to Voulhire by his uncle. He sets sail for Voulhire and arrives there after a week at sea. He finds out about the unfortunate death of his uncle. Galen is to inherit his uncle’s forge and house. Will Galen succeed at Voulhire? Is there any connection between him and Eldus? Grab a copy to find out.

I like that Galen was the main character. His background gives him depth, and he has what it takes to be the protagonist. Galen’s experience in the Land of Princes adds another layer to his character. He was resourceful, courageous, strong, and humble. An example of his humility was his willingness to learn blacksmithing with the manual left for him by his uncle. My favorite character was Eldus. He was kind and caring to his subjects. We need more leaders like him in society. The world would be a better place with him in it. I like how his wife supported him in all his endeavors. Her support pushed him to be successful.

I found some flaws in the book. The author takes too much time to introduce some characters in the book. It slowed down the pace of the book in the beginning. I don’t buy the idea that people are afraid to mention Meldorath’s name. He was an evil person who made people suffer. They should have come together to get justice instead of being afraid of him. For these reasons, I give the book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

I like the title and cover of the book; they complement each other. I found no errors in the book, which indicates that it was well-edited. I enjoyed the political aspect of the book. I liked reading about the plans of the politicians and the betrayals in the book. I recommend it to politicians, scientists, and sci-fi lovers.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jakub Bystrowski
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I enjoyed this review. However, the negative aspects weren't quite analysed. The book is religious and people from other religions should be respectable.
Chinedu Anowai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-anowai.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chinedu Anowai »

The negative aspects weren't quite analysed. The book is full of lessons and people from other religions should be respectable. I do agree with most of the positive aspects.
Fentymak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fentymak.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Fentymak »

The negative aspects weren't quite analysed. The book is full of lessons and people from other religions should be respectable. I do agree with most of the positive aspects.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”