Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Nisha DSouza »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

How was the world made? How did the Earth come into existence? At some point in our lives, we have all wondered about the inception of our universe. Some support the scientific 'Big Bang' theory. On the other hand, some trust in a higher power creating the entire cosmos. In Of Zots and Xoodles, the author attempts to get readers to imagine a different possibility. The author, JW McLaughlin, goes by a unique pen name, Zarqnon the Embarrassed, for a reason. That is because he has always preferred to be unconventional and questioned the standard way of doing things. That explains the creation of this book and Theodil, the main character in the story.

As the title suggests, in this book, Theodil creates a universe with Zots and Xoodles. I enjoyed how the author proposed an extraordinarily imaginative way of viewing things. He concocted a background story and speculated what could have happened before the Earth's conception. That is probably, the only thing I liked about this book.

The author, through this book, poses thought-provoking questions. Why would someone build something only to destroy it later? Why would you not create something perfect on the first attempt itself? Throughout the book, the Internuncio announces the various creations of Theodil. I assumed this was a recreation of how God created life on Earth. I appreciate the author's creative imagination in producing this story. However, the book fell short of my expectations for many reasons. One of them was the repetition of a few phrases, such as "dot-like Zots" and "noodle-like Xoodles." In my opinion, the book sounded like the incomprehensible ramblings of a skeptical person. Some parts defied logic completely, like the diagrams explaining what Theodil was creating. It looked like a scientist's rough draft of a physics equation. I understand it is the author's artistic style, but it did not help improve my overall impression of the book. Although it was only a 49-page book, I struggled to finish it. That may be because of my unfamiliarity with multiple complicated terms and a deep, physics-themed discussion. Finally, I can say that this book is a mix of poetry, prose, physics, philosophy, and much more.

Because of the reasons mentioned above, I did not enjoy reading this book. I also found errors in the book, so it doesn't seem like a professionally-edited book. For those reasons, I rate the book 2 out of 5 stars.

I noticed there were quite a few people who enjoyed this book, as per previously read reviews. Therefore, it is safe to assume that this book probably isn't for readers like me. I would recommend this to anyone who loves physics-loaded terms or likes an unconventional writing style, as they will enjoy this book more.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
byrondsouza
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by byrondsouza »

I was never a fan of overdone sci-fi . and after this, I am confident that I will never be ..thanks for saving my time .hehe
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Physics is not my thing so I guess I'll skip this book. The names and titles are not easy to just pronounce, which leads to a drawback of the book. It's a short read but tough. Thanks for your honest review, Nisha!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Reader_Don
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Reader_Don »

I had read mixed reviews for this book, but your review made me realize that I am not much inclined to read this book. Thank you
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Yes, it kind of is a difficult one. I am still wondering if it is me or the book. :lol2:
Thanks for stopping by and posting your comments, Hazel. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™
Nisha

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

The only subject I struggled with during college was physics, so this book does not sound appealing to me. However, I think others may appreciate it. Thanks for this detailed and honest review, Nisha.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: โ†‘24 Mar 2023, 17:17 The only subject I struggled with during college was physics, so this book does not sound appealing to me. However, I think others may appreciate it. Thanks for this detailed and honest review, Nisha.
Thank you, Omneya, for stopping by and for your comments. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™
Nisha

Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

Sounds of a fair and strong warning in your review for those who don't like "too hard" or "not too easy to grasp" physics terms.
Although am sure there will be diggers for this content, I am sure to not pick this one, unless i am left without an option.
Thanks Nisha.
Sara Nรณbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nรณbrega Bartolomeu »

I think the rhyming style must have been hard to understand too. I struggle to get the message in poetry-like books. Thank you for your review. I think this book is not for me either.
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Sara Bartolomeu wrote: โ†‘25 Mar 2023, 01:45 I think the rhyming style must have been hard to understand too. I struggle to get the message in poetry-like books. Thank you for your review. I think this book is not for me either.
Hey Sara. Thanks for taking the time to post your views. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™
Nisha

Jรช hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jรช hii »

I love that the author went out the ordinary but this book was thought breaking. Not everyone will understand it.
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Ifechi Angela wrote: โ†‘26 Mar 2023, 10:02 I love that the author went out the ordinary but this book was thought breaking. Not everyone will understand it.
Hehe... Yes, Angela. I was one of them. :lol: :wink:
Nisha

Jรช hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jรช hii »

Nisha DSouza wrote: โ†‘26 Mar 2023, 10:08
Ifechi Angela wrote: โ†‘26 Mar 2023, 10:02 I love that the author went out the ordinary but this book was thought breaking. Not everyone will understand it.
Hehe... Yes, Angela. I was one of them. :lol: :wink:
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ So funny
Larissa_Ds
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Larissa_Ds »

An entertaining fantasy book where the author exposes a theory about the creation of the universe, It is fun and educational. It is heavy on the science side of things and the physics of matter and how it is formed but it is so entertaining. I recommend it to those who like philosophical books or are simply looking for something easy to while away their time. All it takes is read and you will fall in love with it. Read Of Zots and Xoodles in small doses: there is not an easy, one-go-way to do it. By reading it at least three times, you make sure you understand and you extend the enjoyment of the process.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I laughed at your comment about "incomprehensible ramblings of a skeptical person", I can imagine why you did not enjoy the book. I wouldn't either! Thanks so much for an honest review.

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€