Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Laney K »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe is a beautiful tale of resilience. Donny is a little boy with Down syndrome who views each day as wonderful. Mary Grace is his older sister who loves her little brother very much. When their parents accept an assignment in Kenya given to them by the church, Mary Grace and Donny must move to California to live with their grandparents. Donny is excited as always, but Mary Grace is sad to leave all her friends as she doesn't know anyone in California. There she faces a bully and must deal with a new environment.

This book celebrates people's differences with the character of Donny. Despite his disability, Donny lives a vibrant life. He loves to collect marbles and visit the zoo. Pepe's inclusion of a child with a disability teaches children that, despite our differences, we are all human. His optimistic spirit is delightful, and his character was my favorite part of the book.

Pepe also made Mary Grace a dynamic character. Upon learning that her parents were leaving to go to Kenya, Mary Grace was reasonably upset. However, after talking with her parents, she put on a brave face for the sake of Donny. She didn't want to upset him or dampen his excitement about going to California.

I rate this remarkable book 5 out of 5 stars. I didn't notice any errors, and I struggled to think of even one part I disliked. It contained simple language that was easy to understand, which is perfect for a children's book. It also shows how children are able to learn to adapt to tough situations, which is a valuable lesson.

Children and parents alike would enjoy reading about Donny and Grace's adventures in California. I believe that this book would be best suited to children ages six to nine. It would be excellent for children to read on their own, or it could be used as a bedtime story.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This sounds like a sensitively written book that can teach kindness and patience toward others who are disabled.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I love this book. I love how Catherine was inspired to write her amazing book because of her brother Donny. I so wish everyone is like Donny who appreciates how every day is a blessing. This book teaches children how to be kind and respectful. Your review is perfect!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Bullying, down syndrome, new environments are elements that kids do come across. I'm glad they are addressed in a manner that is empowering

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”