Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsChet Cherry
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by MsChet Cherry »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia eased herself into her MX-5 Miata and raced back to work after spending her lunch break discussing cyber war with her brother, Glenn, the owner of Fairfax Private Investigators. Surprisingly, she was caught up in a security roadblock after an unexpected incident happened around the White House. This incident and the ongoing terrorism around the world strengthened her resolve to launch a cyberwar attack against the perpetrators with the help of her brother, Glenn.

Prior to the incident, Cynthia's mind had been overwhelmed by the ecstatic thought of going out with her police officer boyfriend, Dan, later in the day. Unbeknownst to her, there will be a shift in her love story after she meets this charming young man, known simply as Sky Eastman. Who is Sky Eastman? What are his real intentions? Will this meeting endanger her cyberwar plans? I think you need to read to find out.

Cynthia and Dan is an action-packed thriller by Dorothy May Mercer, a retired musician and entrepreneur. It centers on crimes, mysteries, romance, and politics, focusing on the Obama White House drone incident. The 267-page quick read was published in 2015, demonstrating the author's extensive research on critical global issues. The main protagonist, Cynthia, features in the author's Washington McBride Series, of which this book is a part. She was described as a young, elegant receptionist for Senator Mike McBride, while she works as an undercover bodyguard and chief of security for the senator. The book has an interesting storyline and engaging plot twists that keep the readers glued till the end. I liked the informative aspects of the book, as the author gave a detailed description of drone technology and cyber security programs. For instance, the sequence of events that happened before Garth, one of Glenn's assistants, took down the nuclear computer network of one of the terrorist countries was simply awe-inspiring. I enjoyed the suspense-filled nature of the book while relishing the mysteries surrounding the story, especially the mysterious Sky Eastman.

Nevertheless, there are a few things I didn't like about the book. I noticed a few loose ends at the end of the story that beckoned for answers. One obvious example is the whereabouts of Larry, who remained at large after his accomplices were caught. But I'm glad the author addressed this in the author's note in the last pages of the book. Secondly, the characters were not fully developed, and their dialogues sometimes sounded pretty unreal. These observations, however, did not deter me from enjoying the book lavishly, so I will still give it a full rating of 5 out of 5 stars because of its captivating contents and lack of visible errors. Hence, I would say that it is exceptionally well edited.

Therefore, I recommend this book to lovers of mysteries, crimes, and romance. Anyone who enjoys political tales will also find it interesting. However, if you are sensitive to topics that relate to pregnancy, abortion, and contraceptives, you may need to look elsewhere.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mateo Kante
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mateo-kante.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Mateo Kante »

Who is Sky Eastman? I would really like to know more about Sky by reading this book. The cover of the book is captivating. I will love to read this book soon.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

Who is this Sky Eastman that made a tough Cynthia fall in love. I am looking forward to reading this book. It promises fun and adventure. Thanks for an inviting review.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I am still skeptical about this book. I don't know if I will enjoy it as much. But thanks for the detailed review.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

I also enjoyed the fact that the reviewer mentioned the informative aspects of the book, particularly the details on drone technology and cyber security programs. It makes me feel like the book is not only entertaining but also educational, making it more impactful.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Cynthia is my favorite character in this book. Your recommendation of the book for use in schools and at home is really helpful. It's good to know that this book can serve as a useful resource for both educators and individuals looking to learn more about history.
Ibrahim Hammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-hammed.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ibrahim Hammed »

I adore Cynthia and appreciate how committed she is to her work. Your authoring of this review was outstanding. Amazing work.
Adeleye Seun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeleye-seun.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Adeleye Seun »

I read most of the book because of the intriguing ideas it presented. Cynthia's love triangle makes use of the love theme as a metaphor. This novel fascinated me, and I truly liked it. The short novel will captivate readers and leave them wanting more. good review
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

The author's ability to distill complex technical concepts into digestible explanations makes this book accessible and engaging for readers with varying levels of expertise.
Raphael Raymondd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raphael-raymondd.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Raphael Raymondd »

The author's meticulous research and attention to detail shine through, offering a realistic portrayal of cyber threats and the impact of terrorism on individuals and society.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”