Review of Short Stories from Saskatchewan and Beyond

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Short Stories from Saskatchewan and Beyond

Post by Uche Active »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Short Stories from Saskatchewan and Beyond" by Ryan Thaddeus.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Most people love reading or listening to short stories. More people find it appealing when these short stories are in a collection. Short Stories from Saskatchewan and Beyond is a fictional book by Ryan Thaddeus, illustrated by Shane Connery Volk.

The book contains six stories. The first story showed a struggle between two animals, a coyote and a hare. The prey tries to avoid being hunted, but the hunter is persistent. The second story relates the travails of a man who watched as the world advanced tremendously in technology. The issue is that he does not seem to adapt to these changes in life. The next story shows an angel’s conversation with the narrator. In the following fiction, we see how five boys encounter a leprechaun, an elf-like being. It gives them access to make wishes. We then see how some individuals in space suffer from accidents. Will the hunter be able to catch his prey? What wishes will the boys make? Will the scientist survive in space? Read this book to find out.

At different points in the book, the author included illustrations that helped create pictorial images in my mind and caused imagery. The writer adequately described the stories, characters, and events, and this helped to facilitate the aforementioned literary device. The book also had a comprehensive table of contents, and the author asked some thought-provoking questions at the beginning of each story. Each question relates to the story about to be told, which depicts how deep the story and its meaning are.

Each story has its unique features. There are different enjoyable parts of the story and other relatable areas. There are parts of the book that are hilarious. It was funny how the hunter and the prey were conversing, trying to make the other give up. I could also not help but laugh at how Wineman described how hard-working his mother is. The sarcasm was glaring. While the writer set some stories in the 1980s, the author took us into the future in others. Readers will experience different features of life and existence in the stories. There were some epic moments in the stories, and I particularly loved how the writer introduced the bear.

However, I did not agree with some parts of the book. There are some parts of the book that were confusing. For example, the story where people mocked a sixteen-year-old woman for not being married was confusing. I will not know if the sixteenth is a typographical error or the truth, as I wonder how people pressure a child to get married. Also, the book contained numerous errors that proper editing should fix. For these reasons, I deduct a star from this book’s rating and rate it four out of five stars. Aside from that, the book was educational and entertaining. It was enlightening to hear about the leprechaun again.

I recommend this book to young adults, adults, and anyone who loves short stories. However, I advise against children reading this book due to how critical and advanced the stories are.

Short Stories from Saskatchewan and Beyond
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

I love short stories. From this review, I can tell that the stories are thought-provoking. It makes the book intriguing already. I will love to read this book. Nice review.
Selmuq Voruma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selmuq-voruma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Selmuq Voruma »

The way introduce each story has already ignited my interest in the book. I love the fact that the author tried to present some parts of the stories pictorially. I enjoyed reading your review.
Francis Ignacio
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

Children books that contain illustrations are very good because these pictures speak to the child in a faster and better way than words. Especially for children still very young. Good job on the review.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

I like how explanatory your review is. The story of the man who couldn't adapt to modern technology got me fascinated and very relatable.
Thanks for your amazing review.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

An illustrated children book... Amazing... The stories seemed short and enjoyable. I will pick this someday soon. Well done on the review.
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

Seems like a great mystery. I'm quite intrigued by the name of the book. As a children's book, I'm surprised. I didn't imagine it'd be one. Nice review.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

The stories contained in this book seem interesting. With the adept descriptions, the imagery, the humour, and the posed questions, the stories seem like they have an indulging quality; short and enjoyable. Nice review.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

This book's summary is captivating and intriguing. The author did justice in making it an amazing book indeed. Thanks for a wonderful review. Good job.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

It's nice that this book is in collection. Children can spend alot of time reading the ones that interest them more.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like an interesting collection of short stories. The author did a great job by bringing the story to life and weaving it will different interesting elements. Thanks for the great review.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jê hii »

Short stories always make great reviews.
Nice review 👏
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Short Stories from Saskatchewan and Beyond by Ryan Thaddeus is a collection that takes you on a journey with the author .
Noble Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noble-reads.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Noble Reads »

This book is a collection of several stories with different genres like adventure, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery and many more. I enjoyed reading this book. Great review. Congrats on publication.
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

I love this, the reviewer's comments on the power of connections were spot on. It's inspiring to see how the author's relationships with influential figures around the world helped him achieve his goals.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”