Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is a science fiction novel centered on Grant Taylor and his expedition in Zona as he seeks to unravel the truth of his uncle's demise.

Grant Taylor's uncle, Randall, was declared dead after going missing during an expedition in Zona, a territory in Siberia, for a year. As his legal successor, Grant, an adjunct professor at the University of Chicago, traveled to Saint Petersburg, Russia, to claim his uncle's estate. When he arrived, Boris Ustinov, his uncle's attorney, showed him around. When Grant saw someone searching through his uncle's belongings in his uncle's home, he wondered if there was more to his uncle's demise. Another expedition to Zona was organized, and Grant joined the team, hoping to find out more about his uncle's death. The team was led by Colonel Max Volkov, the sole survivor of his uncle's trip to Zona. They encountered wild beasts, dangerous weather, and different obstacles. Will they all come back alive? Will Grant uncover the mystery behind Randall's death? Grab a copy to find out.

Reading about the adventures and setbacks that Grant and his team faced was quite thrilling. I felt a lot of emotions while reading about the dangerous situations and troubles that Grant and his team faced in Zona. I really enjoyed reading about the bizarre animals and plants the team came across. The book's depiction of some Russian cultures, cuisine, and places was one of the things I loved. I also picked up a few words in Russian. I found this enlightening. I also loved reading the scientific analysis of the plants. Teamwork was a vital theme in this book. It showed readers that we need each other to survive.

This book was a mixture of action, romance, fantasy, and suspense. I loved the author's writing style; it was quite descriptive. When I was reading this book, I had the impression that I was traveling with the team. The various plants, animals, and paths they encountered were described in great detail by the author. I had no trouble visualizing what was happening in the book. The characters and plot were well-developed. The plot flowed easily. The author did not deter from the storyline. I did not encounter any errors, showing that it was amazingly well-edited.

For the above reasons, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. There was nothing to dislike. It had an exceptional storyline. I commend the author on his creativity; he did a remarkable job. I recommend this book to avid readers of fantasy and science fiction novels.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaylee Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-samuel.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Kaylee Samuel »

A dash of murder mystery with more than a healthy dose of adventure. This book is right for me. Thanks for the awesome review.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I love how Grant was in this book. He was smart and courageous. The author did well with the twists and turns in this novel. Well-written review!
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

A land filled of uncertainties who held a very notable scientist with no trace of him. Another group embarked on this wild adventure would there story be similar? Nice to have come across this read.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

The reviewer did his best to suspend the suspense in this book. The book seems to include so many details. I can't wait to start reading this book. Thanks for an interesting review.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html

Post by Uche Active »

The reviewer did his best to suspend the suspense in this book. The book seems to include so many details. I can't wait to start reading this book. Thanks for an interesting review.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This is an intriguing story about a place called Zona. It's a good place that doesn't exist on the map. The author did a great job with the character development in this engrossing tale. Great review.
Steve Chiboy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steve-chiboy.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Steve Chiboy »

The action and suspense in this book was what kept me reading it, the expedition in Zona was narrated well by the author and I really enjoyed reading this review
Ikechi Ugochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechi-ugochukwu.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ikechi Ugochukwu »

I couldn't help but imagine how those bizarre animals would look like. The suspense I would want to unveil is how the trip to Zona with Grant turned out.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

I really enjoyed reading Zona: the Forbidden Land. The mystery created around Uncle Randall's disappearance was intense and captivating.
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I find the title of this book very intriguing. After reading your review, I'm curious to know what happened to Randall in this forbidden land. It sounds like a perfect blend of murder mystery and adventure. I might read this book soon. Thanks for this lovely review, Oluchi.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The tragedy and loss experienced by the characters add an extra layer of depth to the story and make it more emotionally impactful. The book's 5 out of 5 rating is a strong endorsement for the quality of the story.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

I like how grsnt decided to look for his uncle and didn't accept that he was dead, that was good and I like uow team work was emphasised in this book, we truly need each other to survive.
Blessing Samuels
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-samuels.html

Post by Blessing Samuels »

Traveling to an unknown land in search of a person who may not be alive seems like a dangerous thing to do but I bet a lot can be learned from the journey and the experiences. Thanks for the impressive review.
Uchechi uk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechi-uk.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Uchechi uk »

Wow... For the reviewer to pose such a question, then I'm sure that Zona must be a very dangerous place. I am looking forward to reading this book to enjoying the adventure. Amazing review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”