Review of Dear Abigail

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Review of Dear Abigail

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dear Abigail" by Richard Rees.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Dear Abigail: A Letter to a Little Granddaughter by Richard Rees, he writes a letter to his granddaughter, Abigail, telling her of their family background and where she was originally from. In the letter, he also talks about his daughter, who was Abigail's mother, among other things. Abigail was only 3 years old when the letter was written, so Rees agreed with Abigail's father to keep the letter until she was old enough to read it. The author shares his story, that of his family, his struggles, and the pain he had to live with. Would you like to know the full content of the letter to Abigail? Do you want to know why it was specifically for her and why it was important? Then read this book.

While reading this book about the letter to Abigail, I was filled with emotions as I had to imagine what Richard Rees had to endure and still try to live his life the best way he could. Reading this book has made me appreciate every moment I share with the ones I love. It has also given me every reason to be grateful for each day. I decided to try out this book because of how the name captivated me, and when I read it, I was emotional because of its content.

I loved the relationship between Abigail and her granddad, or "Gaga," as she would call him. Even though she was still very young and tender, they shared a lovely bond and missed each other even when they were only a few moments apart. I also loved the part where Cary fought to stay strong for the three people she loved. Despite the distance between Abigail and her grandfather, she always looked for a way to get in touch with him even though she was restricted, and this is one thing I adored.

What I did not like about this book was how Meryn distanced herself from Richard Rees, despite the love that they had for each other. I was expecting her to be his support and always be there for him when he needed her the most. Though the author's means of communication did not flow in every part of this book, I still felt his pain and agony and understood the message he passed across. While reading, I discovered a few errors in this book, but that did not stop me from enjoying it. Because of how much I loved this book, I give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to those who love a good memoir and those who would love to see the love of a father for his daughter, as they will not be disappointed reading this book. 

Dear Abigail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

This sounds amazing, Abigail's grandfather didn't want his offerings to forget their origin. This is a great way to preserve one's history and transferred it from one generation to another. Nice review!
Kelly Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-peter.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Kelly Peter »

The plot of this book piqued my interest and you gave it a wonderful review I look forward to reading this book. Good review.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

Reading this novel would sound interesting. I'll really want to know what the letter contains and Abigail's reaction to it. This is a wonderful review.
Ekaete Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Dear Abigail: A Letter to a Little Granddaughter by Richard Rees is a book that talks about a man who wanted his grandchild to know more about her origin.
Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin
Favorite Book: The Inner CEO
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boluwatife-ade-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin »

This is a beautiful book. We should learn to appreciate the company of our loved ones because every moment spend with them is always interesting. Just reading the review I feel emotional and love the connection between them Abigail and her grandfather. Nice review
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

This book is incredible interesting. It piqued my fancy. The author did an excellent job writing this piece. Great review
Stephen Grace Wonders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-grace-wonders.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Stephen Grace Wonders »

The deep love between one's loved ones is rare and special. If one's lucky enough to share real love between their parent and relatives, they should be grateful to God. I wish I knew what it feels to experience this love, I'm so happy Abigail and many others out there for being blessed with such love.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is an interesting review and I’ll love to read the book. I’ve seen some reviews on it and I’m intrigued. I’ve read some parts of it before, and I’ll say that I commend the author’s strength.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

The pain Richard Ress carried with him is a hard one to endure. This novel would elicit emotions from the readers. A great memoir novel to read!
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

I imagine the pains and struggles Richard Rees had to go through, and it's a good thing her granddaughter got fond of him; I know that should lift his pains and give him great relief.
Tessa carol
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tessa carol »

I love the relationship she had with her Grandfather but I can't imagine how hard it was for her living without seeing her mother this is a very interesting book Nice Review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”