Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Terms of Service

Post by Proof Readar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It has been five years since Kim got employment as an AI trainer at an artificial intelligence company. She trains devices that can't think for themselves to do so and fit into their dynamic environment. The devices are called operational automata.

Kim has been showing motivation and love for her job while she looks forward to ranking higher in the company by carrying out her task courageously. However, the prerequisite to actualizing her goal won't be begging for a cup of sugar, as she would surreptitiously start to realize the magnitude of her role. Also, her freedom is tainted, as she must force herself to accept the dictates of the AI company put in place by the city's Hierarchy to determine humans' daily diet, clothing color, choice of transportation, public conduct, etc. Hence, these forced terms of service would question her intelligence and potency in terms of changing the artificial world—she finds herself in—to the supposed human world. Dive into the book Terms of Service to watch Kim as she navigates through the challenging conditions, at the work and domestic level, inflicted on her by the AI companies.

Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice by Craig W. Stanfill is a science fiction story that is set in the future and tells the human saga amidst the dictatorial leadership of the Hierarchy who uses various AI companies to prescribe the daily lifestyle humans should adopt. And this is the world in which Kim finds herself.

I love the concept of this great piece; it describes a feasible future and truly shows that human nature is always prone to acts of lawlessness and defiance. This quality is humorously described and well thought out, as I was thrilled while reading each scene of Kim's dealings with AIs. The human nature that I described as being geared toward lawlessness and defiance is evident in the many instances where AI would present a certain diet to Kim, and she would show dislike and make a strict attempt to change the food recommendation. According to the AI company for food and nutrition, humans should eat a breakfast rich in protein and low in fat. But when certain food items are repeated too often for an individual's liking, he or she becomes uncomfortable with them. I was thrilled when Kim argued with AI now and then about the clothing and diet recommendations for her; it kept me grinning at the book while I read.

The author's style and tone allow me to smell and feel the artificial homes where humans live. And with this relatable quality of the book, I enjoy my reading experience. The author is able to describe well the contrasting living conditions—the labor camps and wealthy districts. I was thrilled by every gesture of each character, such as the house bots, the coffee pot that brews coffee on its own accord by sensing the time of the day and human presence, and the sentient quality of houses that respond to humans' arrival and departure.

The book captures the development of characters well, as the characters show their decision-making processes and develop accordingly toward actualizing their goals. All in all, there is nothing I didn't like in the book. On the literary side of the book, I couldn't find a grammar error in it. Hence, it is said to be excellently well-edited. And I will rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

I'd recommend the book to lovers of futuristic stories that propose the probable development of technology and human struggles to survive in it. If you love fantasy stories and the play-out of magical wonders in future technologies, you will enjoy your reading experience in this book.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

Kim finds herself in an environment different from her natural world, working in an artificial intelligence company, where she would have to train robots to behave like humans. Hope she overcomes her challenges.
Ayilaran Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayilaran-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ayilaran Emmanuel »

The rise in the use of AI is great, but then will Kim be able to train and tame any of this device called operational automata??

Nice review though
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

This book is well detailed and the review is well detailed too. I would read more about this. Nice review
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

It sounds like a great story line and something that could actually happen in the future. It's a little scary to think of everything being controlled by AI. The scary thing is, that this is not too far-fetched from what the future could be like. Thanks so much for a great review! It's good to actually find out what it's about and a few of the good things about this new reality - such as freshly brewed coffee :)
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Post by Obc Contentor »

This is an intriguing plot. This plot sounds thrilling to me, and I will love to know how Kim faces her complicated ambitions and world at home and at work.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

Kim works at an artificial intelligence firm where she must teach robots how to behave like people, placing her in a setting that is distinct from her normal milieu. We wish her luck in overcoming her obstacles. Excellent review. 

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”