Review of Vandella

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Review of Vandella

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Vandella" by M. Ch. Landa.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Death is no liberation from the joy and misery of life. Just a continuation of your reality.”

Jase, a high school footballer, was the figure of fascination for a seventeen-year-old Maia. He was ignorant of their attraction and, she was reluctant to make any move about it, to move out of the friends' zone. She feared rejection, which was fueled mostly by her inferiority complex, and a superior rival. But all her hopes for romance and a normal teenage life shattered when she learned she was yet again sick. She wished for nothing, but to disappear and stop making her grandmother worry so much. The harbinger of Death came as promised, not for her, but for her grandmother. Maia felt this was her opportunity to do something for this old woman who had loved and cared for her all her life. She offered the harbinger a deal, but his price was nothing she could afford, and the only thing of value in her being.

Vandella by M. Ch. Landa is a young adult paranormal fiction novel that revolves around life (with all its joy and pain), love (in its purest and alterations), bravery (even when it's easier to give up), and death (with its cold touch, but warm embrace). The book is also spiced with romance. Landa has proven himself an author with a transcended mind that can create and bring to life characters, mysteries, and events that will sweep his audience off their feet, leaving them gasping most satisfyingly. The story had a dramatic twist, from the struggles of a not-so-normal high school girl to the paranormal, revealing so many prophesies, mysteries, beings, and rituals of the afterlife. The author certainly knows how to keep readers on edge and put their emotions in a frenzy as they try to decipher the least of the evils and the angel among demons. One thing I found fascinating in the novel was the characters. The nerdy girl crushing on the handsome quarterback, the best friends with uniquely conflicting personalities, the beautiful cheerleader gossip, the adoring grandmother, and many more relatable characters.

The journey of the pilgrims to the great beyond as told by Landa resembled nothing I have ever heard or read. The path laid out for them was a treacherous one, not as smooth and straightforward as we have come to believe. To live was a struggle, as the odds of dying again were great. The author also incorporated many sayings about the sleep and waking of the soul, my favorite is: “Death is no liberation from the joy and misery of life. Just a continuation of your reality.” Not all sacrifices are selfless. Some are just acts to relieve us of our pain or burdens, while we look brave doing so. I could not help but side with Sydney on this, about the trade Maia made. Furthermore, l liked how the character of Sydney was portrayed. He was a being one should be wary of, but cannot help caring for.

I would rate Vandella five out of five stars; there was nothing to dislike about the book. The storyline was intricately developed and the description of the scenes and actions were well-written. Moreover, the book seemed professionally edited, as there were no remarkable errors to disrupt the flow of my reading.

I would recommend Vandella to all lovers of YA fictional paranormal books, dark romances, and adventure. The length of the book is also an added advantage, not too bulky, and the story is as beautifully written as the cover is drawn.

Vandella
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11
Immaculate Justina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate-justina.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Immaculate Justina »

“Death is no liberation from the joy and misery of life. Just a continuation of your reality.”
This caught my eyes in the beginning of the review. I wonder what Maia's bargaining tool was. Thank you for this beautifully written review.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

What a great review. I was picturing some of the scenes from what you described and am very intrigued. This seems like a great book to read, and it's great to see you loved everything about it. I especially love the paranormal aspect, and the characters you described. Thanks again for a wonderful review!
Esther Godwin Ogechi

Catalina Aspinall wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 05:04 What a great review. I was picturing some of the scenes from what you described and am very intrigued. This seems like a great book to read, and it's great to see you loved everything about it. I especially love the paranormal aspect, and the characters you described. Thanks again for a wonderful review!
Vandella is a book worth reading. The characters and scenes were all loveable. I'm glad you found the review worthwhile.
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11
Esther Godwin Ogechi

Immaculate Justina wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 04:55 “Death is no liberation from the joy and misery of life. Just a continuation of your reality.”
This caught my eyes in the beginning of the review. I wonder what Maia's bargaining tool was. Thank you for this beautifully written review.
You'll have to read the book to find out!
Ebube Promise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebube-promise.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ebube Promise »

I will always be ready to read a romance book with a little mystery to it. Your review was very articulated and made me excited to read the book. Good job!
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

I am always open to read books with dark romance etc. Your review was fascinating. Good job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”