Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Xpress reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xpress-reader.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Xpress reader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe is an adventure book for children that focuses on the Miller family, which had two children, Donny and Mary Grace. There are a lot of lessons on love one could learn from this book.

Donny was different from every other child due to the fact that he had Down syndrome. The family had the choice of leaving him at a special home where he would be cared for, but they decided to bring him home, where he received all the love he needed both from his parents and his lovely sisters. Along the way, Donny's parents were transferred to Kenya, which meant they had to stay with their grandparents in California. Considering Donny's condition and the love his parents have given him, what would become of him and Mary Grace when they stayed with their grandparents? Will their grandparents show the same love? The full book has the answers to this question.

I have only heard about Down syndrome in my genetics class, but I haven't really taken an interest in it until I read this book. I felt so emotional reading this book. But then I was still happy because of the fact that we can still accept and love those with one condition or another. Donny was my favorite character due to how lively and brilliant he was, and I am pretty sure that it was the love that he received from home that made him this way. Everything about the book interests me, starting from the cover page, the conversational style, and the simple writing terms that showcase that the book is basically meant for children.

For me, I think this is more of a young adult book than a children's book. This is because it is very voluminous without any pictures; what makes children's books fun are those colorful pictures, which this book doesn't have. With this in mind, I would rate the book 4 out of 5 stars . In my course of reading, I did not notice any errors.

I would recommend this book to young adults, children, and those who have people with disabilities. This book teaches the benefits of showing love to such people rather than rejecting them.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kizito Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kizito-shelby.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kizito Shelby »

I really enjoyed reading this book. Donny was very inspirational to me. A boy with such an ailment could still everyday find many things to make him happy and grateful.
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

This is quite interesting. I'll like to read about Donny and his capabilities. I heard that Down Syndrome doesn't affect much of the abilities of the individual. So it'd be intriguing to read about what Donny can do. Good review.
Prisca olu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisca-olu.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Prisca olu »

I haven't read this book but I understood the mean theme of affection and care toward one with down syndrome. Having had an eye witness account, I really agree with the author. A great review.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

This is a good book that will teach older children with siblings that have disabilities or children with friends with disabilities, they will learn how to care from this book.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

I loved the fact that this book was centered on Down syndrome. It created more exposure and helped enlighten children. Thanks for this review.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

I feel Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures would be really helpful for children suffering from some disability. They would learn that their disability does not exempt them from love.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

It's not easy to live or train a child with a disability. More is when they are not with their parents. I wonder how they cope with her. Thanks for an interesting review.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

People born with disabilities need all the love they can get and it is great when they get it from their immediate family right from birth. It makes and gives them a gift no outsider can take from them in spite of their disability. Well done for this review.
Favour Ozone
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ozone.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Favour Ozone »

I'm interested in knowing about Donny. He looks like a character I will enjoy reading. Also, I liked how your review was well-detailed and organised. Great work.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I've heard that children with down syndrome are usually detached from society, however, Donny appears different. I'd love to read all about their adventures in California. Beautiful review.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Mary Grace is the best big sister any kid would ask for. She’s there to support and help her younger brother. I enjoy the adventures she went on with those grannies.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

I admire Donny parents chooses to bring him home despite his condition and showered him with all the love in world. That is good parenting. Thanks for the captivating review.
Chee Amaka
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chee-amaka.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Chee Amaka »

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe is an interesting children's book. I am glad that thre concept of Down syndrome was integrated, so as to enlighten readers. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”