Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review of Terms of Service

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Most people believe that artificial intelligence will simplify their lives and replace most manual jobs. But have we ever wondered what life might be like if the artificial intelligence system controlled every aspect of it? The protagonist of Craig W. Stanfill's science fiction book Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice is Kim, an AI trainer who lives in a world where artificial intelligence controls every aspect of her life. This extends to her diet, the clothes she wears, the water temperature at which she bathes, and even the route she takes to work. One day, Kim is compelled to accept a task that changes her job from that of a trainer to that of a creator for the AI firm. As Kim gets deeply involved and understands the project's level and implications, she questions her whole life's existence. Has the AI company manipulated everything about her life to achieve Kim's level of knowledge and understanding of the AI system? In short, has her whole life been a project?

Kim has friends outside of work with whom she interacts, but at no time is she allowed to discuss her work with them. Freedom was limited in Kim’s life, and even slight mistakes and mishaps resulted in punishments or privileges being denied. Kim had two things that she cherished: her best friend Shan and Kimberly, her AI project that she had created. Kim developed anger and became rebellious after meeting Kimberly. Something had awakened in Kim that made her want to break free and obtain her freedom. The very thing about becoming an expert in AI is what Kim admired in the beginning, but now that she has a chance at it, she decided to run away from it. Is Kim going to manage to break free from AI control and manipulation, and what will be her fate?

Craig W. Stanfill’s book Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice is a work of fiction bordering on artificial intelligence, but we can’t run away from the fact that it is authentic. I also loved how the author was creative in naming the days, from OneDay all the way to SevenDay. This book was easier to follow and was engaging. I loved how everything was operated by artificial intelligence, which made one visualize the future concept of a computerized economy. It was fascinating to see how the robots controlled and manipulated human beings, by giving them favors or punishments. With the rate at which everything is being researched to run on artificial intelligence, one wonders if this is a good idea. As much as it is fiction, this book gives a lesson about the disadvantages and advantages of running an economy with artificial intelligence. This book was suspenseful and gave a thrilling experience.

This book had a slow beginning; it took time for the story to develop, but once the story developed, this book was a page-turner as well as thrilling. The author illustrated how AI would ease life, control people’s behavior, and have a sense of what was termed unity, community, and equality. They also demonstrated how artificial intelligence infringed on a lot of people’s hobbies, as it called them fashionistas or foodies. The AI higher hierarchy enjoyed some things that the general populace was not allowed.

This book is organized into chapters and is nicely organized, making it easier to follow. The author did a good job of bringing the characters and events to reality for someone to visualize. I enjoyed reading this book and have nothing bad to say about it. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to a mature audience that loves science fiction. Since this book is about artificial intelligence, readers who love technology would also enjoy reading it.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I enjoyed the book as well as your review. Kim, indeed trap of no-freedom reality. I hope that the futuristic view of the author will not be our future soon.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kaylee Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-samuel.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Kaylee Samuel »

What an intriguing review. Everyone loves the aspect of Artificial Intelligence which makes life easier. I want to read the book and journey with her through her discovery and how she achieved freedom.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”