Review of Burn Zones

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Burn Zones

Post by Neto Chukwu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The author, Jorge P. Newbery, tells his story in Burn Zones. This book is about Jorge's life's never-ending "burn zones" and how he successfully navigated them. Reading about Jorge's growth and development, successes, and resilience in adversity was inspiring.

In this fascinating book Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery, he chronicles his life as a business owner, bicycle racer, and real estate investor with more than 4,000 units. He went from success to failure to success again. One truly stands out when "playing life's dreadful hands." Because of the author's attitude, he enthusiastically played such poor hands. The author drew on his bicycle-riding expertise to show how burn zones decide winners and losers. The "burn zones" he talks about are the obstacles one must face to achieve. Winners and losers, he said, are always identifiable by their burn zones. Winners persevere, while losers give up.The book's greatest strength was the wealth of sage advice; it included advice that could be applied to any area of one's life and serve as a model for fulfillment. During his formative years, for instance, he subtly conveys that our work experience will mirror our expectations, whether we love or hate it. His job was both his hobby and his education, he said. It is uncommon to hear someone describe their work as enjoyable and educational, but this may provide insight into how his optimistic outlook and way of thinking helped him keep improving and become a great professional.

The book's descriptions of Newbery's relationships with his father and the residents of the Woodland Meadows Apartments were some of my favorites to read. He also cared about the residents of the apartment building he owned. Although many came from challenging backgrounds, Newbery created several community-based programs to aid their recovery. Even though he was having difficulty keeping up with his quickly expanding debts, he did everything he could to try and save the community he had founded.

I enjoyed the quick pace and intriguing storyline of Burn Zones, although I did find a few issues. If Jorge had shared more about his childhood with the readers, I would have felt a stronger connection to him. He started playing "real-life Monopoly" early to fulfill his drive to amass wealth, although he does not linger on the reason. I frequently pondered how he could be so devoted because, as a child, he would trade hours spent playing video games for hours spent carrying newspapers or serving ice cream. That was a noble act, but it was necessary to make up for the maturity he had shown at such a young age. Did he want to work because of pressure from his parents? Or, more likely, did he merely find it enjoyable?

During reading Burn Zones, I could not notice any spelling or grammar mistakes, so it is safe to say that this book was exceptionally well edited; thus, I give it 4 out of 5 stars rating. Although I wouldn't read it again, it is worthwhile because of its advice and perspective. Try new things, enter your "burn zones," and progress.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ukaegbu Confidence
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

This is a perfectly written review. Awesome job. I'll note my burn zones and use them as fuel throughout my life so i'll get better and be the best version of myself.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Very good review. I understand your point of needing more childhood information. Sounds like an inspirational story anyway.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I feel same about experiences shared in this book. I feel it would have been interesting to avail more life experiences aside that this is a wonderful review.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jê hii »

I had wanted to review this book but I couldn't because it's available only on Kindle. This review is interesting and I believe will be better. Nice job
Seun Ukanwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seun-ukanwa.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Seun Ukanwa »

Your review is written with so much sincerity. Your observations in this review serves as a guide for readers. The unending burn zones of Jorge. P. Newberry made the story wholesome.
Katherine Barnabas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-barnabas.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Katherine Barnabas »

Your review is enlightening ad shows transparency in it's words. Although there are rumors that self help books don't actually help, I still believe they help and are a short cut in achieving goals faster.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

The advices contained in this book is what I would recommend to anyone who is goal driven and wants to read stories of how people achieved their goals while facing their challenges.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The lessons and insights offered in the book are valuable and applicable to many areas of life. Newberry's story is a great example of how to overcome challenges and achieve success.
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

This is interesting because I keep wondering how Jorge was able to get so industrious at a very young age and his ability to get to his fit again after challenges was impressive.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Legend of Prism: The Pegasus Who Painted the Sky Rainbow by Brad W. Blue

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

The book is inspiring because it is based on the author's autobiography. Working hard and seeking for financial freedom from an early age is really commendable.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

Why is it named burn zones and not pressure points. Wild thoughts tho. I'll really like to read this book as it is a self help book that help me build on myself.
Ucposh301
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ucposh301.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Ucposh301 »

The author's exploration of his own "burn zones" and his ability to navigate through them with a positive attitude and determination seem inspiring. It provided valuable insights into overcoming adversity and achieving success.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”