Review of The Prophecy of the Heron

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review of The Prophecy of the Heron

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prophecy of the Heron" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

After being caught by Kimberly, her own artificial intelligence (AI) creation, Kim was brought to trial in the Halls of Justice and convicted of genderism offenses. Subsequently, she was transferred to District 33, one of the most dangerous districts to live in. The Director hopes that Kim will agree to stay at the AI Company in exchange for better conditions. Kim resists accepting the Director's offer since she would be in captivity, and therefore she would never be able to reunite with Shan or save Kimberly. UCE (Unity, Community, Equality) have stolen her mother, her freedom, and her happy life with Shan, so she decided she would not give up this time. With her world upside down and many enemies in tow, she is forced to adjust and fight for survival. But somehow, Kim always finds herself in dangerous situations. Is it due to her rebellious spirit? Is the Director trying to bring her back to create more "Kimberlys" for the company? Or is it Deputy First Minister Venn who is after Kim?

Kim is devastated at seeing her own AI being used to cause even more oppression. She sets out on this adventure knowing in her heart that Kimberly is sentient, but is AI really capable of telling right from wrong? The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill is the second book in "The AI Dystopia" book series. Thriller, suspense, romance, adventure, and science! If you are looking for these, you must read this sequel.

In the first part of this book, we learn about Kim's new life and how she is adjusting to it, and the story unfolds at a good pace. The author was able to amaze me even more with the development of the main character, Kim. She has a very sharp mind and makes the best use of it to go around the rules. Parts two and three go at a superfast pace, with twists and surprises at each page turn. This book left me on the edge constantly, and it was impossible to predict what would happen next, which is something I truly value. The world created is very distinct, and the author did a great job detailing its particularities. Once again, the virtual reality scenes were absolutely well described and compelling.

Regardless of all the good things I feel about this book, I have to admit that I hoped Shan and Kim's re-encounter would be better. Their interactions remained those of best friends and not so much of lovers. I also expected to know more about Kim's mother.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The author deserves nothing less for this very well written and incredible novel. The negative points noted above are irrelevant to the main plot and didn't keep me from enjoying this book to its maximum.

I recommend this to all fans of artificial intelligence and science fiction. I also recommend it to fans of the first book, as the world's context and characters' connections are very important for the main plot. Furthermore, due to the book's language, I recommend it to mature readers.

The Prophecy of the Heron
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

This is a remarkable book; I'm glad you got the chance to read it and enjoy it as much as I did. I agree with you; I would have liked to know more about Kim's mother or maybe witness a reunion. You did a great job describing the book. Excellent review! 
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I would like to follow through with Kim, Kim's mother, and Shan. It's saddening that the awakening AI of Kim does such wrong that makes Kim so sad. Is there more Kimberly? Your review is intriguing and superb, Sara!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 18:07 This is a remarkable book; I'm glad you got the chance to read it and enjoy it as much as I did. I agree with you; I would have liked to know more about Kim's mother or maybe witness a reunion. You did a great job describing the book. Excellent review! 
Thank you so much! Perhaps the author will address it in another book. I can't wait for the next one. Kimberly redux is somewhere waiting ah ah
Thank you again for your comment :)
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 22:26 I would like to follow through with Kim, Kim's mother, and Shan. It's saddening that the awakening AI of Kim does such wrong that makes Kim so sad. Is there more Kimberly? Your review is intriguing and superb, Sara!
Thank you so much! Kim is certainly trying to save Kimberly. I really liked following her journey after her conviction. A new Kim has awakened - braver and defiant!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and leave a comment.
Jê hii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnnn-g.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jê hii »

I find this book encouraging. I love the new braver and determined Kim.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Ifechi Angela wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 08:31 I find this book encouraging. I love the new braver and determined Kim.
Thank you so much! Did you read the prequel "Terms of service" too? I really liked it so I had to read this one !
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I just finished this book and was excited to read your review. I loved the way Kim managed to survive in District 33 and the way she manipulated AI technology in the end.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Patty Allread wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 15:57 I just finished this book and was excited to read your review. I loved the way Kim managed to survive in District 33 and the way she manipulated AI technology in the end.
I was so excited when finished this book. The last few chapters are mindblowing. I would love to read your review too, if you make one. Thank you for stopping by.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

Brilliant review! Even though I must admit that its prequel, to me, wasn't as exciting as itself. The part about constantly being on the edge...so true, amazing twists and turns that keep you guessing till the end! As for her relationship with Shan, I was personally contented and relieved that the author didn't pursue it further and give it as much attention as in Terms of Service, made me uncomfortable. Generally, that book was a masterpiece. About adding another book to those? I'm kind of torn on that, as I don't think there's another one that can top this second installment, even though id be interested to see what happened next in Kim's life and fight against the Hierarchy.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Blackstenius wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 23:06 Brilliant review! Even though I must admit that its prequel, to me, wasn't as exciting as itself. The part about constantly being on the edge...so true, amazing twists and turns that keep you guessing till the end! As for her relationship with Shan, I was personally contented and relieved that the author didn't pursue it further and give it as much attention as in Terms of Service, made me uncomfortable. Generally, that book was a masterpiece. About adding another book to those? I'm kind of torn on that, as I don't think there's another one that can top this second installment, even though id be interested to see what happened next in Kim's life and fight against the Hierarchy.
I can tell you share my excitement about these books! I was really surprised with the course this took. I think this would give a brilliant book! I read something on the author page about exploring more Tadh, Nix and Lars and the events of the past, also there's Kimberly redux ah ah it's hard to believe any other book will be better than this one. Thank you for stopping by! It was nice to read your views of the book!
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 06:59
Blackstenius wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 23:06 Brilliant review! Even though I must admit that its prequel, to me, wasn't as exciting as itself. The part about constantly being on the edge...so true, amazing twists and turns that keep you guessing till the end! As for her relationship with Shan, I was personally contented and relieved that the author didn't pursue it further and give it as much attention as in Terms of Service, made me uncomfortable. Generally, that book was a masterpiece. About adding another book to those? I'm kind of torn on that, as I don't think there's another one that can top this second installment, even though id be interested to see what happened next in Kim's life and fight against the Hierarchy.
I can tell you share my excitement about these books! I was really surprised with the course this took. I think this would give a brilliant book! I read something on the author page about exploring more Tadh, Nix and Lars and the events of the past, also there's Kimberly redux ah ah it's hard to believe any other book will be better than this one. Thank you for stopping by! It was nice to read your views of the book!

If it's a book about the events preceding Terms of Service then I'm all for it. It'd be great to know the details of Nix and Lars's rivalry further.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I have yet to read the prequel to this one. After reading your review, I am very excited to read both books. Hopefully soon. Thanks for this lovely review, Sara.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Nisha DSouza wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 07:33 I have yet to read the prequel to this one. After reading your review, I am very excited to read both books. Hopefully soon. Thanks for this lovely review, Sara.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thank you so much for your comment.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I have read the first installment of the series. And your review just made the idea of reading this second one more compelling. It sounds like Kim is a magnet for dangerous situations. I would love to read the book after reading your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”