Review of We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review of We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko is the second book in the We are Voulhire series by Matthew Tysz. The story took place after the tragedy of Hillport. The small town of Magnum Caelum lost its supplies of iron to Virko. Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius were then asked by the mayor to seek help from the sovereign of Virko, Lord Venden. Virko was the most advanced and prosperous city in all of Voulhire, but it was the least spiritual of them all. Things quickly turned sour when Galen and his friends encountered a demon that was bound in the sovereign’s home. It claimed to be bound by a man named Folcro. Would Galen and his friends be able to cleanse a demon in a city without strong spiritual beliefs? And who is the mysterious Folcro?

Meanwhile, at Yamon Soul, the Eiodi Gadesh had just discovered a terrifying infection. It was an infection that had probably infected everyone in Voulhire. The only one with the answer was the so-called alchemist who discovered it in the first place. But does this alchemist genuinely want to help? Or did he have an ulterior motive?

What I liked the most about this book was the story. Instead of directly following up on events from the first book, this book told a whole different story with new characters involved in it. Key characters from the first book still appeared, but not all of them interacted directly with the main plot of the book. This book was filled with mystery. Each page had a lot of twists and turns that made me want to keep reading because I was curious about how things would turn out. I also felt quite a myriad of emotions while reading this book. Most of all, I felt shocked and surprised by what happened at the end. In conclusion, the story in this book was very unpredictable. I had to congratulate the author for writing a great story. I hope the next book will take me on another roller coaster ride.

What I liked next were the characters. The author had an incredible talent for writing interesting characters. I felt annoyed with some of them, sympathized with some of them, and even felt related to some of them. There were so many characters, and every one of them affected me in some way or another. One of the lessons I learned from the first book was that I had to try not to have a favorite character because I couldn’t guarantee that my favorite character would reach the end of the book. Still, with so many interesting characters, I couldn’t help but pick one or two. My favorite in this book was Eiodi Gadesh. Despite his grandstanding, he was very approachable. He was very kind to the children and very playful, but he was also very wise and had an air of authority around him. I also liked that he was a powerful mage. Another favorite character in this book was the biomage Alabaster. He was depicted as a wise teacher with a goofy personality in this book, despite being depicted as an annoying old man in the first book. I really hope I can read more about these characters in the next book.

I had nothing to dislike about this book. This book was also exceptionally well edited, because I didn’t find any errors. I gladly rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. This book was filled with a thrilling story and many interesting characters. What else could you ask from a book? I couldn’t wait to read the next book.

I recommend this book to readers who like fantasy stories filled with magic and demons. Readers who enjoy reading book series would also enjoy this series. I also recommend this book to mature young adults because of the graphic scenes depicted within it.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shabad19
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shabad19 »

All characters and climax is so interesting.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: The Fairy Tale of Peckham Rye Park by MeM Tekari

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

A fantasy book with magic AND demons. Must be a really interesting one. Your review was really elaborate.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I have read the first novel in this series and enjoyed it immensely. This review addresses some of the concerns I had about the first book - would it be as many characters and storylines as the first / would characters become the main storyline etc? I gather from your review it has as many storylines and characters as the first one. Although I had to really make a lot of notes to follow all the different storylines in the first book, I look forward to reading it!
Maria C Leonard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-c-leonard.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria C Leonard »

I am not necessarily a huge fan of fantasy books, but your descriptive and detailed review really piqued my interest. I really liked how you broke down multiple characters and showed your true enthusiasm and excitement about this book series. I look forward to adding this series to my list for summer reading. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”