Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ikechi Ugochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechi-ugochukwu.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

Post by Ikechi Ugochukwu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath by Randy Miller talks about the Vietnam War and the challenges the Naval Armies faced during the war. This book unfolded a lot of things that transpired in that war that many people don't really know about.

This book was written using a character called Zack to tell the story of the Vietnam Naval War. Zack was a born and raised country boy who just completed boot camp and was assigned to a ship where he met a friend called Howell. The book took me as a reader through the past, explaining how the war started, how it was fought, the ups and downs, and most especially the heroic welcome given to Zachariah Martin when he returned from the war.

I'm not an American; I have never been to the United States of America, but this book has just taught me the United States of America's Navy Hymn, and I am grateful for that. I so much appreciate the author for coming out to write a book in remembrance of the brave men who fought and sacrificed a lot for their country and also stating some preposterous things that happened during the war that the Congress tried to hide. Private Phan, as a character, showed how disciplined army personnel are. He was told to watch out while on the mountain, and even though he was shivering due to the cold and at the same time could not see through the fog, he still did not leave his duty post on the mountain. The author gave descriptions of the measurements of the ship used by the character Zack, and while I was reading this book, I started to imagine what the ship looked like in reality. It really would have been even better had the author included pictorial images of the ship and their body layout.

I couldn't see any errors while reading this book or after I finished reading it, which is to say that this book is professionally edited and proofread. The only thing I dislike about this book is how the author put the page for clarification of words, terms, and slangs used in it at the end of the book. It would have been better placed before starting the chapters of this book for better understanding and flowing with the book. With that being said, there's still not enough reason for me to deduct a single star from this book.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to lovers of history.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

Your review is well-defined. Good job. I love the way you recommend this book to readers that love historical novels. I'm a huge fan and I'll definitely check this book out. Thanks for your honest review.
Kaylee Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-samuel.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Kaylee Samuel »

Lovely. A book on war also describes other aspects, like the discipline of soldiers and a detailed description of ships. Thanks for the amazing review.
Ekaete Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath by Randy Mille is an amazing book that discusses the prospect of war on a different level.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

The author did a commendable job. I've never read about the Vietnam war from the perspective of the Naval army. I would definitely read this book. Great review.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The fact that the reviewer had no negative aspects to point out about the book is a testament to how well-written and well-executed it must be. The reviewer's enthusiasm for the book is contagious and has definitely made me more excited to read it.
Da_JumogM
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-da-jumogm.html
Latest Review: Wired to Become by Dr. Britt Andreatta

Post by Da_JumogM »

This book described war in detail. After reading the book, one will realize that war isn't a good thing at all. I also disliked how Zack and his mates were treated by the government. Zack's suicide hurt me so much. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”