Review of Starboard Eight

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anne Lucas
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-lucas.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Review of Starboard Eight

Post by Anne Lucas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Starboard Eight" by Brian Casey.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever found yourself wondering about or fascinated by the life of pilots? If your answer is yes, this book, Starboard Eight, by Brian Casey, is a must-read for you. It is a heart-pumping historical adventure masterpiece set in the year 1976's America and is about a young boy named Jesse, who loves playing football, his family and friends, and his dog. But, like many human beings, he has some flaws, which makes him appear troubled and leads to his parents sending him to the Blue Water School. That becomes the place where he goes through some major turn of events that begin his story of self-discovery, redemption, and the power of faith.

The thing that I liked the most about this book is its vivid and engaging storytelling. The author, Brian Casey, does an excellent job of immersing readers in Jesse's world, bringing his experiences and emotions to life with the use of descriptive imagery and heart-filling character development. Also, its unique settings, like the ship in the Caribbean, during a significant moment in American history, made this book stand out. I found myself relating to many aspects of Jesse's journey, especially the parts where he discovers himself at a deeper level. I appreciate how the author has made this book more than just a simple adventure tale by adding depth to it with the help of some intriguing and emotional subplots throughout.

There is nothing that I disliked about the book. From its cover page and introductions to its story and the author's writing style, I liked nearly every element of it. It has been an enjoyable roller-coaster read with many powerful themes.

I appreciate the efforts taken by the author to ensure that this book goes through thorough professional editing, as I could not find any editorial errors in it. Based on all the things that I felt about this book, which I have mentioned above, I give Starboard Eight a well-deserved rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to people who love stories that revolve around adventurous and courageous young adults. High school students may find the emotional state of Jesse relatable to themselves and enjoy it. It also meticulously goes around showing the consequences of anger and the importance of self-discovery, which are some of the important things that young adults should learn. Since this book contains some instances of profanity, sensitive readers may want to skip this read.

Starboard Eight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”