Review of The Trafficking Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of The Trafficking Murders

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Trafficking Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Trafficking Murders, by Brian O’Hare, is the fifth book of The Inspector Sheehan Mysteries series. When the city of Belfast witnesses the murder of a young Chinese woman who was a student at a local university, Sheehan and his team find themselves involved in a mission far more complicated than trying to hunt a simple killer: to catch The Shadow.

Who is the murderer? Why is everyone involved so scared? How is Queen’s University related to the case? The questions pile up as new victims appear, but Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan doesn’t want to precipitate into rush conclusions. He knows that only the compilation of the evidence, and the small details, can lead his team to the actual mind behind the crimes. O’Hare presents a complex story where some of the most despicable crimes, such as murder or human trafficking, and multiple suspects create a puzzle that will challenge the reader’s deduction capacity.

I enjoyed reading this novel from the beginning. I liked how the author mixes the different stories and lines of the plot; I think this helps to make the reader engage with the story and stay interested the whole time. I liked how he also used the length of the chapters to improve the experience: short, sharp chapters that make the reader feel that there is always time for reading one more. Although this is the fifth book in a series, it can be approached even without reading the previous titles. All the characters are introduced in a way that the reader gets familiar with them quickly, and the case is independent of the ones presented in the previous books.

I didn’t perceive any negative element. Some readers can find that the characters are a bit stereotyped; they are good or bad, with no middle point. However, I feel this is acceptable regarding the length of the book. A much longer story would be required to be able to produce a more profound development of the characters’ personalities.

The novel is very well-edited. I only found some minor typos, mainly related to missed punctuation marks. Those don’t affect the reading experience. Because of all the above, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

The primary public for this work would be those readers who prefer mystery novels or thrillers. Due to his quality, fans of this style will find it exciting and fresh, even if they have read similar books recently. However, this is probably also a good book for those who, less accustomed to detective novels, want to taste the genre.

The Trafficking Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Wow, your review is great! Amazing job describing the book and highlighting its goods. Sounds perfect for fans of mystery and crime.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 11:10 Wow, your review is great! Amazing job describing the book and highlighting its goods. Sounds perfect for fans of mystery and crime.
Thank you for your post Sara. Glad that you like it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”