Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Avid_Reader_2k
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader-2k.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by Avid_Reader_2k »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Legacy of Job's Wife, written by Cynthia J. Koelker, is based on the biblical story of Job. It is a book that successfully blends a compelling narrative with a religious message. A good story with relatable characters and a well-crafted plot can draw readers in and keep them engaged from beginning to end. However, when this story is enriched with themes and messages that speak to readers' beliefs and values, it can create a deeper emotional impact and resonance. Koelker achieves this by telling the story from the perspective of Job's wife.

We follow Ix'sies' story from her birth until her death, during which time Job remains at her side. They live next door to each other, and their families are good friends. Unlike Job and his deeply devout family, Ix'sies and her family are not religious. They grow up together and eventually marry each other. Initially, everything seems to be going smoothly until God takes away everything from Job and his family, including their children, wealth, and employees. Job tries to understand the reason for God's actions while feeling shocked. In contrast, Ix'ises is unable to cope with the loss and becomes increasingly consumed by her negative thoughts each passing day.

What initially attracted me to this book was the concept of telling the story of Job from his wife's perspective. She is a character who is often perceived as an antagonist. Job's wife is frequently overlooked and misunderstood in the biblical story of Job. Although she is only mentioned a handful of times, her actions and words carry significant weight in the narrative. However, the author does an excellent job of providing more insight into her character and presenting her complete story. Furthermore, the characters in the story are well-developed, and each one plays a critical role. Job and Ix'sies' parents and siblings play a significant role in shaping their characters, and the interactions between them add depth to the story. It is the combination of all these elements that makes this story complete.

The book had plenty of drama to captivate any reader's interest and was ultimately a valuable read. The only aspect that left me dissatisfied was the way their recovery from the tragedy was depicted. Although the book provided a detailed account of their childhood and married life, their journey to overcome the loss did not receive much attention. If I had to find another blemish, it would be the complex names of some of the characters. Besides Ix'sies, there were others such as B'nahram, whose names could have been simplified. I believe that more casual names would have better suited the narrative.

The editing of this book was exceptional. I could not find any errors in it. I would rate it 5 out of 5 stars. This book is suitable for both religious and open-minded people as it doesn't have any offensive language or explicit scenes. Besides its spiritual aspects, it also presents a captivating narrative of love and tragedy, making it an excellent option for those interested in Christian fiction. Furthermore, those who enjoy a compelling love story would find this book especially fascinating. In summary, I highly recommend it.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

I couldn't understand why she gave them names that were difficult to pronounce. Perhaps one reason was to make the names more memorable and difficult to forget?
GYRO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gyro.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B08CHZGPCB

Post by GYRO »

The book provides a unique perspective on the biblical story of Job by telling it from his wife's point of view. This is what I loved about this book. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”