Review of Man Mission

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review of Man Mission

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mental health is something that men usually suffer silently because the world has the perception that men should be strong. Man Mission: Four Men, Fifteen Years, One Epic Journey by Eytan Uliel is a composition of 15 field trips that a group of college friends started when they had just graduated university and called Man Mission Trips. This was for them to get away from the everyday stress of life, unwind, and challenge themselves to do something they considered manly.

The fictional story is about four men the protagonist, Sam, Alec, and Daniel who went on an adventure every year to a different place to get away from daily stress and take up a challenging task. The first man mission was started in New Zealand in the first year, where only the protagonist and Sam went on a hiking trail. The other friends joined later, and they went on challenges to many places that ranged from New Zealand, Fiji, the USA, Japan, Thailand, Iceland, Peru, Taiwan, South Africa, and so many other countries. On their adventures, they embarked on walking safaris, hiking, mountain climbing, biking, trekking, and kayaking. Their mission was to do something challenging on their own and experience life in its purest form without the demands of the office and home. During their missions, they encountered numerous challenges and cultures, and they had fun as well. The book also illustrates how their lives had been shaped by their marriages, funerals, children, and divorce. One has to read it to understand how their lives were shaped, the challenges they faced, and how they overcame them.

The book was well structured in such a way that each chapter basically illustrated each mission taken, which made it easier to read and follow through with. Furthermore, I appreciated how the author explained in detail the places they slept and the type of food they ate; this made it easier to visualize. Eytan Uliel’s writing style was captivating as he interchanged the mission stories as well as their personal life happenings. The other beautiful thing the author included were the inspirational quotes with matching Bible verses included at the start of each chapter. The book was intriguing and inspirational because, personally, it has ignited the desire to start traveling to different places.

This was a beautiful story well told, but it was painful to see what the protagonist went through before and after divorce. Racheal took everything for granted, never valued or appreciated him, and some of their friends judged him. It is sad to see that society has put this enormous responsibility on men and expects them to be tough even at the time when they are at their weakest point. He indeed went through what the quote by Orison Swett Marden said: "This is the test of your manhood. How much is there left in you after you have lost everything of yourself?"

This book was exceptionally well written and easy to follow, and I enjoyed reading every part of it, hence my giving it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I loved how the author presented each journey in a chapter, which made it easier to follow. This book was professionally edited, as I didn’t find any errors.

This book is suitable for readers of all ages as it contains no profane language. I would further recommend this book to people who love to travel to exotic places as well as those who love to sample different cultures and foods.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

I feel like all the reviews of this books are so positive, it definitely is one I should check out. Thanks for the informative review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”