Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Kavita Shah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah was born in Aïn Beïda. He has advocated for the rights to justice and freedom in youth politics. When he met President Houphouët-Boigny, his life took a turn for the better, and his call to Africa led to his appointment as ambassador. He is wise, compassionate, hardworking, and has a good personality.

The author has played various roles throughout his life, including student, freedom fighter, professor, ambassador, loving husband, and others, all the while staying diligent and never showing a careless attitude towards life. While it was lengthy and sometimes as dull as a history lesson, I must say that it was a story worth reading. I had to put in a little extra effort to remember the names because many political events took place where many prominent figures were in attendance.

The author came across as a positive individual with a friendly and hospitable nature from the notes at the beginning to the text he wrote. I expected to skip over half the political content because I have no interest in politics, but I finished reading it all. The only negative is the length, but because of the immersive writing style, it will not be bothersome.

The fact that each chapter began with an insightful quote from the text was a big plus for me. One of my favorite quotes is when Dr. Berrah was released from prison and told Antoinette, “Oh, how beautiful it is to be free.”(pg 63)

The images were something I looked forward to in the endless array of black and white text. Images of meetings or telegram messages, identity cards, documents, etc., were like fresh air between the pages.

It was a goosebump moment for me when the author described how he got hurt while riding a bike, and when he returned home, his mother asked if he was hurt because she said she saw (like a vision) his bloody knees and she was in tears. It was like realizing how strong the bond between a mother and child is.

I also like how close he was to the president. He regarded the president as a father figure and a friend, demonstrating the importance of the president in Dr. Berrah’s life.

I rate A Dream For Peace five out of five stars for all the above reasons. I enjoyed everything about it, from the immersive writing to the memorable historical biography to the vivid descriptions of all the political and personal stories. The book was exceptionally well-edited, as I did not notice a single error.

There was nothing specifically religious or directed to a particular belief except for the wish to have dialogue and discover points of agreement so that various faiths coexist, which is a beautiful thought. I suggest it to anyone interested in learning more about Dr. Ghoulem Berrah and readers prepared to read a lengthy but informative biography. Fans of historical fiction will enjoy it too.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JkReviewer17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-najibullah-qanit.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by JkReviewer17 »

Nice Review!
The book sounds very inspiring and insightful.
Well done 👍
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It was a lengthy book but worth reading because Dr. Berrah dedicated his life to African people. He served wholeheartedly, his one ambition was to serve Africa. Your review is lovely!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I must admit the length of this book has kept me from picking it up on a couple of occasions, but I look forward to reading about the life of this amazing man. Thank you for your take on this impressive read.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Najibullah Qanit wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 07:11 Nice Review!
The book sounds very inspiring and insightful.
Well done 👍
Thank you for the comment Najibullah Qanit!🙂
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 07:33 It was a lengthy book but worth reading because Dr. Berrah dedicated his life to African people. He served wholeheartedly, his one ambition was to serve Africa. Your review is lovely!
I realize that whatever he did, he would do it wholeheartedly including his service to the African people. Thank you for the comment Hazel! :tiphat:
Last edited by Kavita Shah on 06 Apr 2023, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

MsH2k wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 17:16 I must admit the length of this book has kept me from picking it up on a couple of occasions, but I look forward to reading about the life of this amazing man. Thank you for your take on this impressive read.
This book's length is like the threshold between to read or not to read. Take one step in and the reader can read an immersive biography. Thank you for commenting Donna!🍬
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

I was wondering about this book and your review gives me an insight into it 👏. All respect to the DR.
The only thing that could keep me skip is the length of the book.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

I'm presently reading this historical piece and so far, I think it is a great book. Looking forward to finishing it and forming a concrete opinion about the book.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Sarah Zain wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 19:49 I was wondering about this book and your review gives me an insight into it 👏. All respect to the DR.
The only thing that could keep me skip is the length of the book.
Thank you for commenting Sarah!
It will surely not disappoint you if clear past descriptive imagery appeals to you. Despite it's length it has been reviewed many times before, so I think you should read other reviews too to see if you should opt to review it or not. 🤠
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Chris Agbara wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 05:21 I'm presently reading this historical piece and so far, I think it is a great book. Looking forward to finishing it and forming a concrete opinion about the book.
That's fantastic! It will certainly have lot's of interesting tidbits plus more about Dr. Berrah's life and other historical events. Thank you for reading my review Chris._ :tiphat:
Cesyao
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cesyao.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Cesyao »

The author's message of unity and compassion is beautifully conveyed in A Dream for Peace, leaving a lasting impression.
Elvischukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvischukwu.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Elvischukwu »

Dr. Berrah Ghoulem's narrative is filled with poignant moments that touch the heart and inspire readers to strive for peace in their own lives."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”