Review of Terms of Service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up by Charles Wiley

Review of Terms of Service

Post by Salome Ogani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Craig W. Stanfill's science fiction novel, Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice, is set in a time where technology has advanced to the point where AI plays a vital role in the world's functioning. This has led to a radically different society, with new technologies and ways of life that have become the norm. As a result, the world is not just a futuristic version of our own but rather a unique and complex creation that offers readers a glimpse into a possible future.

The protagonist of the story is a young woman named Kim, who has always dreamed of working for AI companies. Finally, she gets her wish and becomes a trainer. However, the reality of her job is far from what she had envisioned. Kim finds herself living a comfortable life in a decent district, but she still feels a deep sense of loneliness and solitude. Seeking to break free from her mundane existence, Kim agrees to go on an adventure with her childhood friend, Shan. Together, they embark on the adventure, which leads to a chain of events that ultimately shatters Kim's perception of reality. As the story unfolds, Kim discovers that everything she had believed in was merely a "web of illusion." How will she cope with the knowledge that her entire world is not what it seems?

I found the plotline of the novel to be quite appealing as it portrayed a world where economic equality was the norm. In this society, people were not divided based on gender, race, or religion, which are often the root causes of economic inequality and discrimination in our present world. Despite the focus on Kim, the novel actually features a wide range of side characters, many of whom appear only briefly. However, this works in the protagonist's favor, as readers are left with no choice but to root for her and take her side. I appreciated how the author crafted a world that reflected the ideal of economic equality and the importance of mentorship, all while keeping the reader invested in the main character's journey.

While I enjoyed the book's creative expression of the environment and characters, I couldn't help but feel that the character development was lacking, and the conversations in some chapters felt forced, making it a somewhat tedious read. The entire plot revolves around Kim, and although other characters are introduced, they are not developed to the same extent. Additionally, there were times when the description was sparse in comparison to other scenes where the author's descriptive prowess shone through. Because of these negative aspects, I am rating the book 4 out of 5 stars.

Despite these drawbacks, the book was exceptionally well edited. I would recommend it to readers interested in sci-fi novels and those who want to explore the themes of artificial intelligence, emotional deprivation, and their impact on society and the earth. Overall, the book's world-building and exploration of AI technology were fascinating, and the author's talent for crafting vivid descriptions was evident in many parts of the book. Despite the occasional pacing issues and underdeveloped characters, I found myself fully engaged in the story and intrigued by its concepts.

Terms of Service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Ekaete Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

A world run by AIs could be the most dangerous things that could happen to us. We need to make sure that doesn't happen because we can't trust the AIs.
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

It's a good book , with amazing adventurous characters. Your review describes the book very well, great job.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

Kim is the protagonist of this novel and she works with an Artificial intelligence company. Read this amazing novel about how her life was monitored and controlled by the AIs.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The author also does an excellent job of portraying the psychological effects of a life filled with technology and automation. Through Kim's journey, we see how the constant presence of AI can create a sense of isolation and detachment from the world around us. This aspect of the novel was particularly powerful and thought-provoking.
Ikechi Ugochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechi-ugochukwu.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ikechi Ugochukwu »

This book depicts how things will get easier for humans if AI does most of the things. Your review is very descriptive. I enjoyed it.
Chee Amaka
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chee-amaka.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Chee Amaka »

Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill sounds like a very interesting book that i would love to read. Kim is a very good worker and I loved that the book talked about AI
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I appreciate your honesty in mentioning the unsuitable content for younger readers. It's helpful to know that the book is professionally edited and contains profane words, which can help readers make an informed decision about whether to read it or not. Overall, great job on the review!
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

The author's ability to weave in mentorship and its importance in shaping the future generation was a welcome addition to the book. The portrayal of mentorship as a way to break free from economic inequality was inspiring and thought-provoking.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Craig W. Stanfill's science fiction novel, Terms of Service is a must read the book. People have been taking about this book and I have confirmed it through this review. Good job
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

This book is a thought provoking novel. I enjoy the review from start to finish, I must tell you that I sincerely love to buy this book. Good job on this review .
Omobolanle Savage
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

While the reviewer did mention that the character development was lacking, I think this would be a minor issue for me as I am primarily interested in exploring the book's sci-fi elements. The review's focus on AI technology was captivating, and I am excited to read about how it shapes the book's world and characters. I can't wait to discover what unique technologies the author has come up with.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

The idea of a world that reflects economic equality was an interesting concept that the reviewer highlighted. It would be fascinating to explore this utopia-like society and how it would function. I appreciated the reviewer's focus on this theme and how the author managed to make it a central part of the book's plot. It makes me curious about what the author's vision of an economically equal society is.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

I loved how the reviewer delved into the book's plotline and the protagonist's journey. The review was informative and gave a clear insight into what the book was about without giving away too much. The reviewer's analysis of Kim's character and how she coped with the reality of her world was intriguing, making me want to read the book and find out what happens to her.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Americas Revival by Kathryn Garten and Christopher Garten

Post by Merits Anih »

I enjoyed the book's exploration of emotional deprivation and how it can impact individuals and society as a whole. The author's portrayal of Kim's loneliness and her journey to break free from her mundane existence was engaging and relatable.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”