Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Milisandia
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milisandia.html
Latest Review: The Mighty Esox by G. Edward Martin
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Milisandia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I enjoy reading. If I can find an author I enjoy, I will read all of their books. It is nice if these books are part of a trilogy, or even better, a part of a series. We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz, is the first book in a fantasy series. In this series, there is the Cosmos, the physical universe, Caromentis, the magic universe, and Alithea, the spirit universe. Voulhire is a part of this multiverse.

Castle Hillport is under attack. Lord Orlin is arrested and Lord Meldorath takes control. Soon Lord Meldorath is arrested. A New Arrival Under Great Skies has a very exciting beginning. There are mages, soldiers, political intrigue, and new friendships. Some people are interested in helping, some are just seeking power. and others are interested in destruction. There are monsters to be defeated. Unfortunately, these monsters look like everyone else.

Galen Bray is a new arrival to Voulhire, from the Lands of Princes. Galen’s great-uncle tries to find him before he dies. He has left his estate to Galen. Rowan is the executor of Galen’s great-uncle’s will. He finds where Galen is living and sends papers to him so he can leave the Lands of Princes. When Galen arrives, Rowan is his guide in this new country. Things are very different in Voulhire. Before he came here, trying to survive was enough. Now he has a home, some money, and a forge, even though he does not know the first thing about being a blacksmith. His uncle left him a manual and he has hope for the future.

The descriptions are enough that I could picture what the people looked like, what the towns were like, and what the countryside was like but not so much that they bog the story down. The politics and religion were understandable and I was able to follow the logic. There is a cast of characters listed at the front of the book with pronunciation aids. There is also a reference guide at the back of the book. These are very helpful to those of us not from Voulhire.

There were a few words that I thought were used incorrectly and some references that could have used more detail. Perhaps the detail will come in the next book in the series.

It was fast-paced and exciting. The story kept my interest. It was very well edited. I rate it a 4 out of 5 stars. There was some minor swearing but I did not find it distracting.

People who enjoy reading fantasy series would enjoy this series. It has imagination and adventure. There is violence but not much gore. I have already read the second book and am looking forward to reading the third in the series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”