Review of Just Die

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michele Kessel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-kessel.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Review of Just Die

Post by Michele Kessel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Just Die" by E Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Just Die by E. Alan Fleischauer, Jake Silver suffers a stroke that leaves him with the ability to kill living things by pointing at them. With the help of his fiancee, Beth Ann, and his friend, Omar, he learns how to use his powers for good.

When he was young, Jake learned to point at people and say, “Just die” instead of giving them the middle finger. While recovering from a stroke, Jake finds that his way of cursing someone can now really kill them, like when he accidentally kills his hospital roommate. Jake puts his powers to the test by pointing at a video feed of Kim Jong-un, who collapses on the spot.

Now that he has this power, what should he do with it? He could get anything he wants with just the point of a finger. Should he use his powers for good or evil? The decision comes more quickly than he thinks after he kills another person when recovering at home. Jake must figure out if he really has a special power quickly before he can kill anyone else.

I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. Although this book was advertised as a thriller, it read more like an action/adventure story with paranormal elements. It follows a very standard action/adventure pattern. I was expecting twists and heart-racing scenes. What I found were characters that had to make choices between good and evil. Every character made a choice, and they got the ending they deserved. The book was fine, but not what I was expecting.

The book was easy to read, had a good flow, and the author did not leave any loose ends. It was fine. The editing in the book could have been better; I don’t believe it was professionally edited. While the editing did not disrupt my enjoyment of the book, I did catch myself noting errors along the way.

I would recommend this book to people who want a light action/adventure story. The paranormal elements are light and make sense; readers don’t have to work about witches, vampires, or other elements typically associated with paranormal writing. This book is for people who want to see the growth of a hero and don’t have to worry about too many twists. I wouldn’t recommend this book to people who are looking for heart-pumping thrillers. There is no mystery to solve and nothing lurking around the corner.

Just Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”