Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LarsAj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larsaj.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by LarsAj »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The epic kingdom of Voulhire serves as the setting for Matthew Tysz's magic realism novel We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Vast Skies, which is set in a conventional fantasy fiction setting. Socioeconomic unrest, political scheming, war, and various mystical characters are all mentioned in this novel. The story opens with a young man named Bray Galen having the chance to leave the Land of Princes because his uncle had expected him in the Magnum Caelum city of Voulhire. He was fortunate because life was hard and his country frequently engaged in military conflict with its neighbors. Unfortunately, Bray arrives in Voulhire after his uncle has passed away, so he takes over running the forge inherited from his uncle. Continue reading to see how each city participates in political games that include themes such as siege and war.

This book is complicated, yet I still really liked it. Although difficult to read, it is worthwhile. The way the author named his numerous characters was one of the elements I enjoyed. All of their names seemed to have a recognizable structure to me, which gave the macrocosm a sense of reality. Similar to this, Matthew Tysz's method of layer-by-layer character development was fascinating and enthralling. The majority of individuals have some sort of supernatural ability, but the tale isn't just concerned with how those abilities work. The setting of Voulhire serves as the center of the story, and the author establishes the framework for the next books in the series, piquing the reader's interest in what will happen in the following volume. In addition, I liked how the narration let the reader know what the characters were planning or who they were. The glossary at the rear, in my opinion, is another advantageous feature because it is simple to get lost in the subtleties and a written explanation does seem to be helpful.

Nothing about We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies I didn't like. I didn't find any typos or grammatical issues, therefore I assume the editing was really good.  The fact that The fictional planet and its inhabitants seem more authentic and well-suited than random was another idea I liked. 

I enjoyed this work of literature and plan to read the next books in the series. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars for all the reasons listed above.

Fans of science fiction or fantasy should read this book. There are a few crude phrases used, therefore I wouldn't recommend this book to those with sensibilities. Because it was a difficult read that was yet worthwhile, I say "commit." Don't pass up reading this compelling novel.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”