Review of McDowell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review of McDowell

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

McDowell: A Novel by William H. Coles is a story about the life of the main character, Hiram McDowell. Hiram's second wife died of breast cancer after her 45th birthday, leaving him with three children: Sophie, Ann, and Billie. Later, he remarried a widow named Carole, who had two kids named Tasha and Candice. Hiram bought a new house that was big enough for both families.

Hiram had been away in Chicago for two months, and when he returned to Denver, he found his wife Carole in the kitchen preparing dinner, as well as his son Billie, who was home. Hiram's stepdaughters rarely greeted him, and when he tried to engage them in conversation, they seemed rude, with the support of their mother. Hiram became enraged and invited Billie to join him so they could eat out. They had a wonderful night, and when they returned home, Hiram was bombarded with questions from Carole, the answers to which can be found by reading McDowell: A Novel by William H. Coles.

Some things appealed to me while reading this book. The prologue was a good start for the book because it left a touch of curiosity after I was done with it. As I read, the storyline was interesting, and I really felt engaged with the storyline because William took his time to work on the character development, and his writing style was interesting. He combined emotions—love, hatred, and quest—in the book's various chapters. McDowell was a unique reading experience for me. The way that Williams switched between scenes was perfect, as I was not confused when a new scene was introduced. I also liked the way Hiram loved his children, and he was never too busy to spend time with them.

I didn't like some things about this book. Hiram was so desperate for power and money that it ended up making him enemies, led to a lot of betrayals, and seemed to be too inappropriate in his conversations with his children. He also wasn't the best husband to his wife, and because of these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to individuals who love to read adventure stories and stories with a wild view of transformation to get the most out of the book; as it is slow-paced, you should be patient. I encountered a few errors while reading this book, which shows that McDowell: A Novel by William H. Coles was professionally edited.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The book's exploration of suicide attempts is an important topic that is handled with sensitivity and grace. McDowell is a truly inspiring book that is sure to leave readers feeling motivated and inspired.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

The character development of a book is one thing that can make me loose interest in a book but from your review, I can see that is was done in a very professional way and because of this would add this book to my shelf and plan for purchase.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

Excellent review, I just read this book and I must say I agree with your points on it. I disliked Hiram's character. He was a double crossed and a power hungry person.
Eliah king
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliah-king.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Eliah king »

couldn't put this book down! The plot was well-crafted with unexpected twists and turns that kept me hooked until the very end. The characters were relatable and their emotions felt real."
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

It's good to hear that the book teaches compassion, love, and honesty - these are important values that can be difficult to impart through fiction. I appreciate that the reviewer doesn't shy away from pointing out the book's flaws while still acknowledging its strengths.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Flaxen Tyranny by Simon Evans

Post by Salome Ogani »

It's good to know that the book has been professionally edited, even if there are still a few errors. I wonder if the book goes into detail about the specific political issues in the medical profession that Hiram faces.
Emmanuel Cohen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-cohen.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Emmanuel Cohen »

The book seem to carry a lot informations and lessons to be passed to all, from love, family, loss and so many more. It appeals to me because it has all the elements of a good book.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

I like how you described the book. Hiram has a lot going on. It would be interesting to know hoe he dealt with his issues. Great book.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Legend of Prism: The Pegasus Who Painted the Sky Rainbow by Brad W. Blue

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

I wonder why Hiram's stepdaughters were rude to him. I like how well developed the characters were, this shows that the author is a great writer. I don't like that fact that Hiram was so desperate for power and money.
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

To me I like the idea of a prologue, in most situations it serves as the initial stimulant on the interest of readers and make them want to know the end of the story.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

This review briefly described what the book is all about without giving much details out. I am curious why Hiram’s step children don’t like him and why they are rude to him?
Ucposh301
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ucposh301.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Ucposh301 »

Well I would say the treatment from Carole wasn't nice knowing very well what Hiram has been through, children tend to learn very quickly just by seeing the actions of others. Carole has impacted a very bad impression on the kids. Would love to see how things turns out
Christopher Andersons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris1-anderson.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Christopher Andersons »

The fact that the book emphasizes the importance of keeping promises could make it a valuable read for anyone looking to improve their sense of responsibility.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

I wonder if the book balances its lessons and themes with an engaging and satisfying storyline that will keep readers hooked.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”