Review of Shine a Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Honda
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Review of Shine a Light

Post by Jane Honda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shine a Light" by Nicky Corcoran.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

There are three major literary genres, with poetry being the least appealing to me. But then, here I am leaving a review for a poetry book, Shine a Light by Nicky Corcoran. This is due to the nature of this book. I would say this is a very relatable poem because it deals with things we encounter and experience. This is an unusual poem that highlights and touches on a few social concerns and issues.

This is a very short book, but the lessons it teaches are very large. In our society today, everyone is now nonchalant and selfish, in contrast with decades ago, when love and attention were abundant. This new trend of living in the moment has caused more harm than good. The most critical stage of life, where more attention should be paid, is the adolescent stage. If we can get it right at this stage, then I think we can correct future errors. The government, family, society, and school have a huge role to play here. What are their roles in raising responsible adolescents? There is a lot more that has been said in this book concerning training, love, nature, life, etc. Grab a copy for more.

This book made me realize a few things about poetry. When I was reading, I felt this strong conviction and connection to what the author was saying. The methods of writing poetry are very different from those of other works of literature. I also found out that poetry is very straightforward and doesn’t require any off-putting content. This is a multi-themed book. I love the free-spirited style of the author's writing. It was more from a general perspective, which makes it suitable for all. I loved how the author kept her writing simple from the start of this book to the end.

I came across a few errors while reading. Generally, the book's editing was poor, as evidenced by the errors and the abrupt start of the book, with the content of the book starting on the same page as the cover. Also, some poems were long. The book has no table of contents, titles, or chapters. For this reason, I will rate this book three out of five stars.

In addition to what has been said above, I wouldn’t forget to mention how colorful the cover was and how it matches the title of the book. Having said that, I would recommend this book to lovers of poetry.

Shine a Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is an awesome review you’ve written. And I’ll love to read it. I like the theme it expresses. The author is right in his words. Everyone is now neglecting the other on the basis of ‘I’m passing through a lot’. Wonderful review!
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

It's currently a world where our definition of love, integrity, dignity and respect have been altered. It is really appalling. I definitely will love to read this book. Thanks for a nice review.
Chinelo Valerie Hero
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelo-valerie-hero.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 15%

Post by Chinelo Valerie Hero »

I really don't think People had more love for each other in the past but that's a conversation for another day. Your review is amazing.
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

I love your review it is detailed and informative. Although I haven't read the book it makes me thirsty to read more. Kudos. K love the plot of this book.
Mariamm Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariamm-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee

Post by Mariamm Ibrahim »

The way you perfectly describe the plot of this book is what I adore and you've also drawn my attention to ready this nook. Well done
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

I love poetry, and I love that this collection of poetry touches contemporary issues in our society. I will definitely read it. Thanks for the intriguing review.
Oluebube Prisca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluebube-prisca.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluebube Prisca »

The topics discussed in thus book are one I have not given much thoughts. Is there a consequences of living in the moment. And the adolescent stages being the most important stage of a person.
Xpress reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xpress-reader.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Xpress reader »

In your review, I was able to learn about the literary genre. This review was awesome and educating at the same time. I would love to read this book.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

A short book of poetry with many lessons is a must read for me. I like that it is multiplexed and that the authors writing is free spirited.
Thanks for this great review.
Richaard Oliver
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officiql-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Richaard Oliver »

I commend the way you described the plot of this book. However, your criticism of the book has left me wondering whether I should read it or not. You've written a great review. I'll consider reading it.
Nmesomachi Ambie
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange trial
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesomachi-ambie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nmesomachi Ambie »

You've indeed written a wonderful review. Reading poetry isn't my kind of thing but your emphasis on the lessons to be learned from this piece, makes me to want to read it.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

One unique think I learned about poems is that a Poet can use just few words to send a thousand messages. It baffles me at such display of talent. Good review.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like an interesting poetry book that explores insightful themes. However, am not a fan of this genre so I will pass. Thanks for the insightful review.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thanks for the review! I'm glad to hear that despite not being a fan of poetry, you found "Shine a Light" to be relatable and touching on important social concerns. I completely agree that the adolescent stage is crucial, and it sounds like this book offers valuable insights into how we can raise responsible adolescents. I'll definitely add it to my reading list.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”