Review of Binge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Binge

Post by SINGH JAY »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Binge" by Anne Pfeffer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Anne Pfeffer's novel Binge describes Sabrina's demanding existence. She longed to be a published author, but different publishers had rejected her work. In addition, she had a rude, demanding supervisor at the talent agency where she worked. She gorged on all available comfort foods as a way of reducing her tension. Over the years, the weight gradually increased by forty pounds as a consequence. She worried about losing her job because of her weight because she worked in a field where the majority were very thin, fit people.

Fast Track Books' Kaitlyn called Sabrina to let her know they were interested in publishing her novel. When Kaitlin invited Sabrina to wear the red evening gown she wore in her website photo to her publishing party, Sabrina was overjoyed. There is no way the photo, which was taken when Sabrina was thin years ago, will suit her now. She is afraid that Fast Track Books will break their contract if they learn about her weight gain. Her bingeing increased as a result of the added tension. How is she going to live a life that is less stressful and take charge of her health?

I appreciate how the author highlights significant social problems like low self-esteem and negative body image. A slow-burning love story is also present in the novel. In spite of this, the story's central theme—Sabrina's failure to accept herself as she is and her conviction that losing weight will solve all of her problems—remains unaffected. The author shows a great talent for accurately capturing Sabrina's feelings, and her character is superbly developed. She is an intelligent, creative, devoted, and hardworking figure who has flaws but is still very lovable and memorable. When she insulted herself or gave in to her cravings for food, I occasionally wished to slap her. I could not help but root for her because I could experience what she was thinking and feeling. Also well-developed were the supporting personalities. The author shows a great talent for adding humor to the story, which occasionally made me smile. In addition, her depictions were superb and totally absorbed me into the story.

Another underlying topic in the book is spirituality. The book does not, however, support any specific faith, so I do not believe anyone will find it offensive. Because of her upbringing, Sabrina struggled to believe in God. She learned to surf from Stuart, the partner of Sabrina's sister. Stuart used a wonderful line: "God is the ocean, a force a million times stronger than us. And the waves God is sending my way are my existence. I have to follow the swells. I have to follow their lead. It was also mentioned how important friends and relatives are. Lena, Sabrina's sister, supported her when she needed her the most, but Sabrina also needed friends who had also battled with their weight in the past and were ready to support her.

In my opinion, this book deserves 4 out of 4 & 5 out of 5 stars. I found no errors in the work, which is a testament to how well it was edited. There was not a single element about the book that I did not enjoy. I believe that the majority of female readers would like this book, particularly if they like romance novels. I recommend this book to those who have battled in their attempts to lose weight. They will probably value it the most. Although they were uncommon, insults were occasionally heard. But if this bothers the reader, they might think about searching somewhere else.

Binge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rosandra Hosein
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review of "Binge" by Anne Pfeffer. I appreciate your analysis of the book's themes, character development, and the way it addresses social issues. Your review has given me a clear understanding of what to expect from the book, and I'm intrigued by the protagonist's journey of self-acceptance. I will definitely consider giving it a read based on your positive recommendation.
Rosandra Hosein

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”