Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Soma Ezenwanne
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book was introduced with an epilogue that explains the plot. Gary was having a good time with his grandson when the doorbell rang. When he opened the door, they discovered a box containing a painting of a man swallowing swords.

Duke was a young man who had experienced poor parenting. Staying at home had become unbearable because of his parents' ongoing problems. He later joins the circus at age 15 and finds happiness there. He was fortunate to be hired on his first day at the circus, and he soon finds himself learning the act of sword swallowing. Despite Duke being an entertainer, he was living an unhappy life. As events unfold, he meets a man named Gary, a university graduate who doesn't have any job despite being one of the best students in school. Get this book, The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson, to know the life story of two friends.

This book is distinguishable because it is based on a true-life concept. The author emphasized the significance of friendship, which helps readers understand that there are friends who can become brothers. It was admirable that they had each other's backs, and Duke tried to assist Gary in getting his life back on track. The acts and distinctive characteristics of the circus performers fascinated me as I read this book. Robinson was also very descriptive while writing this book, making it easy for me to visualize its stories. The book teaches readers that planning ahead of time is important and that they should not live in the moment. I thoroughly enjoyed this book because Gary was hilarious while writing it, and I found no aspect boring.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was that the two main characters faced many difficulties, and they played a significant role in their problems. They were also addicted to drugs and alcohol, which is a choice, but I didn't think being an addict was a good idea. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars based on my personal preferences, and I still found it to be an insightful piece of human experience.

I recommend this book to people who feel like life hasn't been fair to them and need encouragement from the lives of others. People who enjoy circuses will also appreciate this book. I found no errors while reading this book, indicating that Gary Robinson's book The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid was exceptionally well edited.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

I think every parents should care for their children and keep their problems away from them because it can affect their upbringing. I guess this will be a motivational book to read.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

Being a drug addict and an alcohol addict is nothing to write home about and everyone should try and avoid abusing drugs and alcohol as they end up ruining our lives at the end of the day.
Ama Ra Chi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

Poor parenting plays a massive role in the upbringing of an individual as we can see here
Ucposh301
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ucposh301.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Ucposh301 »

Sometimes the way parents handle or train their children could have a negative impact in them. Nice review
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

A troubled home is the last place you should call home. Duke's escape from his troubled home led him to the circus, where he found solace and joy amidst the challenges, proving that sometimes unconventional paths can lead to true happiness.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Stars in Our Hearts by Kylie Welch

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I think that joining the circus at 15 was his last option. But swallowing a sword is something that is between life and death. What if he dies in the process? The good part about this is that he is very intelligent; I wish he channeled more energy into his education.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

A good name for this book would be things you should never do. All the struggles the characters had were as a result of bad decisions. This just shows that there is not foresight of the future
Christopher Andersons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris1-anderson.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Christopher Andersons »

The book provides an eye-opening account of the sport of sword swallowing. Duke consistently asserts that he is one of the 14 remaining sword swallowers in Canada and California.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

Some things in the book were overly exaggerated for convenience, such as Duke's character, which may be a turn-off for some readers.
Willie Wilsons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willie-wilsons.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Willie Wilsons »

The book is well-edited, and no errors were found while reading it. The book contains profanity, sexual content, and drug use, making it suitable for adult readers.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html

Post by Neto Chukwu »

Robinson's evocative prose and vivid storytelling effortlessly capture the essence of friendship, resilience, and the power of following one's passion against all odds.
Osakwe Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-precious.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Osakwe Precious »

From your review, on can easily that Robinson's storytelling is engaging and evocative, making this novel a delightful escape into a world of imagination and personal growth.
Sandra Osita-Orah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-ebere-ent.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Sandra Osita-Orah »

The power of friendship and the pursuit of happiness despite life's challenges are what I found most interesting in this book, because happiness and friendship are different kinds of experiences.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”