Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's book, A Dream for Peace, is a memoir that chronicles the personal life of the author as well as his fight for peace. Dr. Berrah extensively wrote about his personal accomplishments and the various actions he took to bring peace and harmony to various parts of Africa.

Dr. Berrah grew up in Algeria, a French-colonized country in Africa. His mother instilled in him the importance of academics. In order to further his studies, he took a scholarship and moved to France. Having experienced racism directly, he actively participated in the fight for freedom while living in France. After completing his education, he felt the need to help Africa, so he returned and became the special advisor to the president of Côte d'Ivoire, Houphouët-Boigny. There, he performed great acts focused on bringing peace.

Dr. Berrah's life was truly motivational. During his lifetime, he did a lot of amazing things. He went through a lot of obstacles, but he was determined to keep on fighting. He lived an accomplished life. He not only helped several African nations achieve peace, but he also made some significant scientific discoveries. He gave a theory on the Reverse Transcriptase Enzyme.

This book was rich in African history. I found it quite enlightening. Dr. Berrah spoke about his country's fight for independence and how they got it. He was an active participant in this. Prior to reading this book, I knew little about how Algeria gained independence, so reading this book from the perspective of someone who was actively involved was thrilling and informative. Also, this book introduced me to the various cultures and cuisines of numerous African nations. I also learned about several world leaders I was unaware of.

One of the things I loved about this book was the relationship Dr. Berrah shared with his mother. She loved him profoundly and showed her support for him. She made sure he took his education seriously. I loved his union with Titi as well. They were supportive and loving. Also, this book supported interfaith marriages, which some people find challenging to accept. Even though Dr. Berrah was a Muslim and his wife, Titi, a Christian, they got married regardless. Dr. Berrah explained that we all shared the same faith, irrespective of our various religions.

For the reasons stated above, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The author's writing style was clear and conversational, making it simple to understand. The photographs he included made the book feel more personal. There was nothing to dislike. It was professionally edited, as I came across some errors. I recommend this book to lovers of autobiographies centered on activism.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Dr. Berrah is an admirable and wonderful man. I like that he wrote down the details of his life and journey. Your review is well written! Well done!
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

That is an admirable journey Dr. Berrah had. It must have been amazing to have overcome all the obstacles he faced and become successful. Your review was well-written and detailed.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

This is a story of a noble patriot and an activist whos fight for his nations independence stems from his heart despite the pressure from home he was determined to carry on with the fight. This book is a memoir of his struggle for the independence of Algeria.
Blessing Samuels
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-samuels.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Blessing Samuels »

Dr. Berrah's life sounds intriguing. It must not have been easy fighting racism and helping a country gain independence. I loved that he wrote about his marriage which was an interfaith marriage. Thanks for the honest review.
Cesyao
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cesyao.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Cesyao »

The author's ability to tackle complex subjects with grace and sensitivity is truly commendable.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

The author's impact in these African countries will not be left untold. He is a man worth emulating
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Deceit by Vernon Baumrind

Post by Robert Andrew »

The reviewer provides a comprehensive overview of Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's memoir, "A Dream for Peace," highlighting the author's personal journey and his dedication to promoting peace in Africa. They emphasize Dr. Berrah's upbringing in Algeria and the influence of his mother's emphasis on education. Also notes Dr. Berrah's experiences with racism while studying in France, which fueled his activism and fight for freedom. They mention his return to Africa and his role as a special advisor to the president of Côte d'Ivoire, where he played a significant part in fostering peace.
Uchechi uk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechi-uk.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Uchechi uk »

Dr Ghoulem Berrah's story motivates me to do better. I love how he chose the profession of being a diplomat which accordés him on opportunity to help his country more.
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Baggett Yori »

Thank you for sharing your review of "A Dream for Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah. It sounds like an inspiring and informative memoir that offers insights into the author's personal life and his impactful efforts towards peace in Africa. Your appreciation for the rich African history, cultural aspects, and the author's relationships adds depth to your review. It's great to hear that you found the writing style clear and engaging, despite some errors. Your recommendation will surely help readers interested in autobiographies focused on activism.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”