Review of Dying Well

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review of Dying Well

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dying Well" by Susan Ducharme Hoben.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the year 2000, a couple lived happily until the wife of Bruce was diagnosed with breast cancer. Through the challenges, Bruce was always by the side of his wife, Susan, and the surgery and chemotherapy sessions were successful. There was a celebration of life after this experience, and they were happy with how things had returned to normal.

After this celebration, life went on as usual, and nearly ten years after Susan's cancer battles, Bruce was brought to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with the same dangerous condition that his wife had survived. This was a significant turning point in the family's lives, and Susan told her husband that she would be by his side throughout this period. Get Susan Ducharme Hoben's book Dying Well: Our Journey of Love and Loss to read a story based on true events.

I found this book to be an interesting piece, and I cannot deny that I was touched while reading it. Susan was immensely supportive and strong because most individuals can't handle the challenges she faces in this book. The book also educates readers a little about cancer in general.

The book also discusses the value of family and the power of positive thinking. Communication is another important factor that I noted in this book since Bruce and his wife did not fail to keep both family and friends up to date on the current state of things on a regular basis. Finally, this novel was emotional, and the primary goal of sharing an experience was achieved.

I have no reason to dislike this book, and with the positive points indicated above, I give it 5 out of 5 stars. I found no errors while reading Dying Well: Our Journey of Love and Loss by Susan Ducharme Hoben, indicating that it was exceptionally well-edited. I would suggest this book to anyone who is experiencing a health problem or has a family member who is experiencing a health problem.

Dying Well
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Ama Ra Chi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

Indeed, you won't appreciate the importance of good health until you're about to lose it. Nice review
Ojiaku Uche Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojiaku-uche-charles.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ojiaku Uche Charles »

I don't like the fact that the family had to go through a lot of torment because of cancer and I just wish they will overcome these temptations in this book.
Ucposh301
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ucposh301.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Ucposh301 »

Wow truly love supercedes all, this Is something that is done by few, many would give up at the hearing of the word cancer. I pray it doesn't go wrong for him. Nice review
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: What Makes You Feel Better That Starts With The Letter by Sienna L. Ambrose

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

Bruce and Susan were not just couples. They showed me what love, trust, and endurance mean. Definitely, if Bruce could stay when Susan battled her breast cancer, and survived, Susan as well will be there for him, this is their oath till death do them apart.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Lightning Child by Quinn Lamothe
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

And on that faithful day when I close my eyes in rest, I want to recount only good memories even if the bad ones are in inevitable. I just want the good memories to surpass the bad ones.
Chris1 Anderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris1-anderson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Chris1 Anderson »

Thank you for writing such a heartfelt and insightful review of Dying Well: Our Journey of Love and Loss by Susan Ducharme Hoben.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

Your review provides an excellent overview of the book's key themes, such as gratitude, family, and hope, which are important messages for readers.
Willie Wilsons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willie-wilsons.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Willie Wilsons »

I like how you highlighted the emotional impact of the book, which shows that it can resonate with readers on a deep level.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Nancy004 »

Being diagnosed with cancer is an absolute nightmare, one of the most heart-wrenching things anyone could ever face. And can you believe it? These beautiful souls had to endure that unimaginable pain not once, but twice! It takes an indescribable amount of strength to stand by someone's side when they're battling this relentless disease. Not everyone has that kind of resilience, but these two extraordinary individuals did. The reviewer highlighted the couple's exceptional communication, a lifeline that becomes even more crucial during such trying times. Their journey, as described so eloquently, has touched the depths of my soul and filled me with inspiration. I feel an overwhelming urge to grab this book right away, to delve into their story and be uplifted by their unwavering spirit. Thank you for the review.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

Dying Well" is not just a book about death; it is a celebration of life, a reminder to cherish every moment, and a call to approach our mortality with courage and grace.
Osakwe Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-precious.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Osakwe Precious »

I love that this book using personal anecdotes and heartfelt reflections,addresses the fear and uncertainty surrounding death, while emphasizing the importance of open communication and creating a supportive environment.
Sandra Osita-Orah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-ebere-ent.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Sandra Osita-Orah »

This touching story of Bruce and Susan reminds me of the enduring power of support and companionship in the face of life's toughest challenges, which left me inspired.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”