Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsChet Cherry
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by MsChet Cherry »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tina Dreffin's love for adventure originated in her childhood years, when her family constantly moved from one state to another. She lived in South Carolina, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, and North Carolina, and attended six different middle and high schools. On a daily basis, she and her two sisters would go in search of their adventure fix. They were "happiest when lost on distant country roads in search of somewhere and going nowhere." At some point in her life, her fear of her outlandish behavior became apparent. She thought her addiction to adventure was highly abnormal until she met Peter, her husband, who was a wanderer. Peter embraced her wild side, and life was never boring after that.

In her non-fiction book, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa, Tina Dreffin created a masterpiece of her family's adventurous journey around Africa and across the Atlantic Ocean. She described every step of the journey with vigor and introduced every experience with great enthusiasm. I felt like I was part of the crew as her alluring depictions sparked a wave of euphoria within me.

The journey served as a healing process for Tina, whose dreadful previous experiences were supplanted by the magical events that took place during the adventure. The painful ordeal she's been through has caused her so much grief and fear. She was so absorbed in her experience that she completely lost touch with reality, as she was riddled with low self-esteem. But I'm happy the journey gave her the opportunity to rediscover herself. Her dancing escapade in the Caribbean, for instance, left me mesmerized. I relished the author's vast knowledge of history and natural geography, as I enjoyed every valuable piece of information gained on interesting places like the Kruger National Park in South Africa and important personalities such as Napoleon Bonaparte. I'm glad that the cancer news did not stop her from living her life to the fullest and doing what she does best.

Depicting Africa as a country, probably by omission on one of the pages, may confuse anyone who is not attuned to knowledge of the continent. Apart from this, I have no other dislike whatsoever for the book. It was tactically written and professionally edited, as I encountered only a few errors.

I have no reason not to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because of its captivating yet informative characteristics. Anyone who is inclined to adventure and history will find it very engaging. I equally recommend it to those who have gone through the trauma of sexual abuse, depression, terminal disease, or the loss of a loved one. They'll find it soothing and heartwarming.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

Sometimes one could be so much in love with something that it becomes an obsession. Tina obsession was nice I also love the fact Peter wasn't against her vision.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

The author's description of her adventure seems engaging. It's great that her journey helped her rediscover herself and that she chose to share the experience with her readers. Nice review.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Tina is my favorite character in this book. I'm impressed that you didn't find any errors while reading the book. This shows that the author and editor took great care in crafting and refining the content.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

I am personally a very timid traveler (I'm trying to get better!!) but I love reading books like you describe here. Maybe this would help me get out a bit more!
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hee-via.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

I can only imagine the joy that comes from meeting someone interested in adventure as much as you are. Following the journey of Tina as she travels across Africa alongside her family is definitely something that intrigues me. I just have to add it to my want to read list as it is definitely a want to read. Thank you for this amazing review.
Oluebube Prisca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluebube-prisca.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluebube Prisca »

Tina is sure a strong woman having passed through so much and still having a positive outlook on life. The south pacific expedition wasn't just fun but a time of healing and enlightenment.
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

The fact that the reviewer gave the book a 5-star rating speaks volumes about how highly they thought of it. This is a great endorsement for anyone who may be considering reading the book.
Ama Ra Chi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

A beautiful nonfiction by Tina. I was really emotional while reading.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Blue water has been my favorite, Your description of the book's plot and characters was so detailed and vivid that I felt like I already knew them. It made me curious to read the book myself.
Ibrahim Hammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-hammed.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ibrahim Hammed »

Your review is awesome well done. That you found no faults while reading the book impresses me. This demonstrates how carefully the author and editor crafted and polished the information.
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

It is awesome how you constructed your likes about the book. Tina Dreffin's bravery is very commendable, as she wrote about her past traumas. Your review is amazing.
Onyeka Dibor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeka-dibor.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Onyeka Dibor »

"Bluewater Walkabout" reminds us that even in the face of hardships, there are moments of joy and growth that emerge from the journey.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”