Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nletachi Otuokere
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nletachi-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Nobody To Me That The Road Would Be Easy by Floyd Thompkins

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Nletachi Otuokere »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's book, A Dream for Peace: An Ambassador Memoir, is based on his genuine experiences and chronicles his life's journey as he fights for Algeria's independence and freedom. The author was born in Algeria, a former French territory where French culture, language, and religion were widely practiced. In Ain Beida, his mother brought him up, she valued his knowledge and showed him that she cared. He received a scholarship that permitted him to attend any university after finishing elementary school, and he chose the University of Bordeaux to pursue a career in medicine. His undergraduate life became strained as a result of his involvement in Algeria's liberation on a political and academic level. His activity expanded as they became more united in their desire for Algerian independence. They decide to go on strike, which causes the police to go after him and accuse him of being the one who initiated the strike. This man's life is extensively described in the book. For more information, it would be great if you read it.

This book is packed with intriguing happenings that kept me turning the pages until the very end. There were times when I wished the author had written more about his experience. What I learned about Berrah's family's level of religious tolerance is an intriguing aspect. They communicated well and got along well with their neighbors, even when he was a young boy in Algeria. Because their religious beliefs forbade them from engaging in mechanical operations, Berrah helped them by turning on their lights on the Sabbath. His drive for independence and unceasing outreach to his brothers, particularly after they had humiliated and imprisoned them, are astounding. I will also applaud the author's efforts and capacity to provide exact dates for the events described in the book.

I liked how the author included adequate images to support his memories of his early years, the independence war, his diplomatic duties in Cote d'Ivoire, and other experiences. My reading experience was facilitated by my ability to connect the narration of various events to the pictures. I was hoping to find a glossary or the definitions of several technical terms in the book, but I was disappointed to not find either. I would have been less distracted while reading the book if this had happened. Nevertheless, that didn't stop me from enjoying this novel. 

There isn't anything bad about this book. I gave the book a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars because it is completely free of errors and has excellent editing. It was fascinating to read about Africa's battle for independence from the perspective of someone who was there at the time, despite the book's length. Geopolitical problems, like the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, were given life and rose above the level of being merely historical anecdotes. Because of his perseverance and compassion, which were visible throughout the novel, the author was a fascinating figure.

I heartily suggest it to everyone interested in autobiographies, history, African politicians, and all campaigners for human freedom, especially in Africa.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ama Ra Chi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

A well written review. Very descriptive.
Anil G
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

Your summary of the book is thorough and excellent. It would have been better if the author had put some definitions of the technical words, although, despite that, you enjoyed the book and wrote a concise review.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Nnena Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnena-blessing.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Nnena Blessing »

You did a great job of summarizing the book. Although you liked the book and gave it a succinct review, it would have been better if the author had included some clarifications of the technical terms.
Cesyao
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cesyao.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Cesyao »

I was inspired by the characters' journeys as they navigated their own paths towards peace and reconciliation.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”