Review of McDowell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eliah king
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliah-king.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of McDowell

Post by Eliah king »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It can really tug at your heart when you see talented professionals behaving in ways that aren't right for society, but sometimes those stories can be really captivating. McDowell by William H. Coles is a perfect example of that.

Dr. Hiram is not only a skilled medical professional but also an enthusiastic mountain climber. He had set a personal goal to conquer all the high peaks of Nepal as a way to cope with the loss of a dear friend. However, his busy work schedule often kept him away from spending quality time with his kids from his previous marriage, causing tension with his wife who suspected him of being unfaithful. On top of that, Dr. Hiram had dreams of becoming the president of the International College of Surgeons, believing that the organization needed improvement.

I really like how McDowell is written - it's engaging and the story keeps you interested. The author uses foreshadowing and flashbacks to make Dr. Hiram's character more complex, showing how his past actions affect him now. The other characters in the story are also well-developed, which makes the whole story feel connected and interesting.

I don't like it when some chapters in the book only focus on character backgrounds without adding much to the main story.

Furthermore, I would rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. However, there are some grammatical and typographical errors in this article, including the use of profanity and sexual content. Despite that, I would still recommend this book to readers who enjoy stories that portray the journey of characters from success to failure, from grace to grass.

In conclusion, I want to share my thoughts on why I didn't give McDowell a top rating. Firstly, the book's portrayal of gay unions and the topic of euthanasia may not sit well with readers who have different beliefs. Secondly, I found the book lacking in entertaining content. A good book, in my opinion, should have engaging cliffhangers and a touch of humor to keep readers hooked without feeling dragged on. Moreover, there were some errors in the writing that could have been addressed with better proofreading before publication.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Kim Writerfrak Walters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerfrak.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kim Writerfrak Walters »

"The plot twists in this book kept me on the edge of my seat.
Just when I thought I had it all figured out, the author threw a curveball that
left me gasping. Brilliant!"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”