Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Experiencing adventure and pursuing one's dreams can lead to a fulfilling and happy life. Taking risks and facing challenges can help individuals build resilience and develop a sense of purpose. By trying new things and pushing themselves out of their comfort zone, individuals can discover their true passions and interests, leading to a greater sense of fulfillment in life. Pursuing one's dreams can also provide a sense of direction and meaning, which can be especially important during times of uncertainty. Additionally, the memories and experiences gained from adventure and pursuing dreams can provide a lasting source of happiness and satisfaction.

Bluewater Walkabout is a travel memoir written by Tina Dreffin. She recounts her experience while voyaging from South Africa to the Caribbean alongside her husband, two sons, and two of her friends. She also shares the story of her life prior to the trip. The most striking aspect was the challenges she faced before meeting her husband, Peter. She opens up about physical and emotional abuse she suffered earlier in life.

Tina Dreffin does a good job of narrating in detail the four-month trip that started from South Africa to Brazil. While at Kruger National Park in South Africa, they saw various wild animals. The highlight of their adventure at Kruger National Park was seeing a herd of about 200 buffalos, a leopard, and an elephant. While at sea, they nearly had a mishap due to the movements of whales. As they voyaged, they stopped at different locations, affording them the opportunity to interact with different people and learn about their cultures. Their voyage on the ocean had its ups and downs. You need to read this book to find out how they navigated the good and bad times.

Dreffin's writing style evoked various emotions in me while reading this book. The vivid narration of her past life got to me and made me appreciate how well she came out of the dark phase of her life to the level where she became intentional about what she wanted. She became unapologetic about her choices, especially her choice of whom to marry. No wonder she ended up with a man like Peter. The different flashbacks in her narration added context to her story. Mentioning the names of the different locations they visited heightened my interest in the book because I got to learn about the cultures of those places.

Another thing I like about the book is the author's strong personality. It is not everyone who will have the bravery to come out and share their dark past as she did. By sharing her story, I believe she will be a beacon to those who are struggling to not allow their present predicaments to hold them back from experiencing the good things in life. Reading this book was a blissful experience. The pictures accompanying the pages made it easier to relate to Dreffin's narration.

There is nothing about the book that I disliked. The editing was excellently done because I didn’t spot any errors. Although one might complain about the use of vulgar words, I believe they were necessary to complement the authenticity of the story. Hence, I am giving this book a 5 out of 5 stars rating. I recommend this book to people who love adventure and travel stories. There is something in this book for people who are in a challenging phase of life. There is a lot they can learn from the story of Tina Dreffin.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I love how Tina was so courageous to come out with her past story and trauma. I loved the adventures she and her family went on. It was quite interesting.
Anabel Mack
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

This book was one of the best books I've ever read. The follow up story and all was just exquisite and they'd be nothing you disliked.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”