Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sheen Jenny
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Army Life by Darryl Jefferson

Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Sheen Jenny »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid is a novel by Gary Robinson that tells the story of two men from vastly different backgrounds who find themselves becoming friends in a circus in the 1960s. Duke Reynolds is a gifted swallower who has been performing in the circus for years. When not performing for the circus, Duke is seen on the streets performing his act,which never ceases to amaze his audience. This book encompasses love, friendship, and addictions.

One of the things I particularly enjoyed about this book was the way it portrayed the world of the circus. Robinson's descriptions of the performances and the backstage dynamics were vivid and engaging, and I found myself completely absorbed in the world he had created. The characters were also well-developed and complex, with their own unique quirks and motivations. I found myself invested in their stories and rooting for them as they navigated the challenges of their lives.

The book's examination of preconceptions and concerns about identity was another feature I liked. Duke was the book's main character that I liked the most. Duke fit the stereotype of a bad boy who thrived in the drug and alcohol world. Duke was covered in tattoos as early as the 1960s, a time when they were thought to be for never do Wells. He was, however, the greatest at what he did, which makes me think that as long as a person has their mind set on something, or, to put it another way, if they have talent, they will always succeed, regardless of the vices they indulge in. The monkey girl is another one of the book's characters that I adore. Some people will categorize having facial hair as a disability they loathe,but she found a way to monetize it.

While I enjoyed The Book, there were a few things that didn't quite work for me. At times, the pacing felt a bit slow, and there were parts of the book where I found my attention wandering. Robinson is a terrific writer, but his attempts to liven up the book to make it funny made it ridiculous and boring. There were places where some words were overemphasized.

Overall, I would rate the book four out of five stars. It's a well-written, well edited and engaging novel that offers a unique perspective on the world of the circus and the complex dynamics of stereotypes and identity. While there were moments where the pacing lagged or the message felt a bit heavy-handed, these were relatively minor quibbles in the grand scheme of things. If you're looking for a thought-provoking and engaging novel that will transport you to a different time and place, The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid is definitely worth checking out.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jane Honda
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Jane Honda »

The sword swallower is also a very fascinating book detailing some social issues faced by young people in a social, ranging from drugs, addiction etc. The dangers of it were also highlighted I enjoyed the time spent reading this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”