Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Paul Link »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Five-year-old Donny needed special care because he had Down syndrome. On a family trip to the zoo, Donny went missing, and a frantic search began. After 30 minutes of looking everywhere, his astute 10-year-old sister, Mary Grace, stumbled upon where Donny might be, as she discovered a photo she had taken with him just moments before.

This tale is just the beginning of Donny and Mary Grace’s California Adventures, the first volume in Catherine Anna Pepe’s Grandma Gang Mystery series. When their parents leave them with their grandparents and embark on a mission trip to Africa, Mary Grace and Donny struggle to adjust to their new life in California. School poses particular challenges for the siblings, with Donny being subjected to frequent bullying from an unknown person, due to his special needs. But amid the challenges, Mary Grace discovers an opportunity to unleash her inner detective by joining the Grandma Gang with her grandmother and her grandmother’s friends, to solve the mystery.

What drew me to this book was that it was based on the author’s own experiences. Catherine Anna Pepe also had a brother named Donny, with Down syndrome, and a sister whose name happens to be the same as the book’s brightest character, Mary Grace. Reading this book allowed me to understand what it might be like to grow up with a sibling like Donny.

Pepe did a phenomenal job of conveying the pain and heartbreak that Mary Grace and her brother endured, as they were bullied in their new school. But what really captivated me was Mary Grace’s remarkable empathy and forgiveness. Her compassionate spirit truly shined through, more so than her sharp intellect.

I was particularly grateful for the friendly style the author employed. For me, it is usually a positive sign when a literary work begins with a captivating event, promising an enthralling journey ahead. In the book’s initial chapter, the writer deftly acquaints us with the clever Mary Grace, leaving us with delightful expectations for the rest of the narrative. Remarkably, I could not pinpoint a single thing that I disliked while reading the book. It was devoid of any grammatical errors, rendering it, in my opinion, a flawless piece of work. As far as my rating goes, I give it an unreserved five out of five stars. I would particularly recommend this book to slightly older youngsters, as well as parents who stand to gain from its lessons.

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaleab Wondu
Currently Reading: Health tips,Myths and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaleab-wondu.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Kaleab Wondu »

You included what drew you to the book in your review. It was a nice job. It's clear you have done your job making it flawless.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I hope this will help readers a better insight on caring for children like Donny. Your review was 👌
Sola Gracia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sola-gracia.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sola Gracia »

I am thinking to buy this book for my kid to embark his detective soul. Thanks for your review...
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thank you for this introduction to the children's adventures with their grandparents in California. This attractive cover has been catching my eye for a while now!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I also got a free copy of this book and look forward to reading it. I am probably nearer in age to the Grandma Gang than the two children, lol.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”