Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Chris Agbara »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Dream for Peace is a memoir by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah, who was a freedom fighter, scientist, diplomat, and peace activist. The book tells his life story, from his involvement in the Algerian independence movement to his diplomatic missions in Africa and the Middle East. He met with many influential leaders, such as Mao Zedong, Arafat, and Houphouët-Boigny, and initiated the first secret meeting between the Israeli and Palestinian peace groups in 1976. The book also chronicles his journey of faith, love, and interfaith dialogue. It is a rich and captivating story of a man who dedicated his life to the pursuit of peace among all nations and people.

The book highlights some very crucial themes, such as:
 The struggle for independence and self-determination of Algeria and other North African countries from colonial powers.
 The role of diplomacy and dialogue in resolving conflicts and promoting peace among nations and people, especially in the Middle East.
 The importance of interfaith dialogue and respect for diversity and pluralism in a globalized world.
 The personal and professional challenges and achievements of a man who lived multiple lives in one life, as a freedom fighter, scientist, diplomat, and peace activist.
 The power of love and faith in overcoming adversity and finding meaning and purpose in life.

All the themes are interesting and relevant in their own ways, but the theme of diplomacy and dialogue is most interesting to me. I think it is fascinating how the author was able to meet and interact with so many different leaders and personalities, and how he tried to bridge the gaps and foster understanding among them. I also admire his courage and vision in initiating the first secret meeting between the Israeli and Palestinian peace groups in 1976, which was a remarkable achievement at the time. His belief that "only dialogue can save humanity from the perils of war" is worth emulating. (Page 605)

Practically, this book can be helpful regarding the Russia-Ukraine war by providing insights and lessons from Dr. Berrah’s experience in dealing with complex and violent conflicts. He shows how dialogue and diplomacy can be more effective than military force in resolving disputes and achieving peace. He also shows how peace seekers can overcome obstacles and challenges such as political pressure, personal risk, and public opinion. He also shows how peace seekers can maintain their integrity and values while engaging with different actors and interests.

However, one of the drawbacks of the book is that it is very long and detailed, which might make it hard for some readers to follow or stay interested. To be honest, I struggled to finish the entire 629 pages; it was as though I was in a boring history class, but I stayed through because of my interest in African history. And as they say, nothing good comes easy. The book answers a lot of critical questions as regards how Africa started and why the continent is where it is now. Thus, if you are seeking answers to these questions, then you should be brave enough to eat down some 629 pages.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. How else will I rate a book that is 629 pages long and error-free? I do not doubt that the work is professionally edited; I must give the author kudos for that. More so, the book encompasses important themes that will stay relevant until the end of time.

The book is ideal for anyone interested in learning more about diplomacy and dialogue's role in promoting peace and understanding among nations and people. It is also recommended for those who enjoy reading inspiring memoirs of exceptional individuals who dedicated their lives to the pursuit of peace and justice. This book is a must-have for every world leader; both political and religious.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

The author life style has encouraged me greatly. I like how you concluded your review with a recommendation to sci-fi fans. It's helpful to know the target audience of the book and who is most likely to enjoy it. Good job.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

"Thus, if you are seeking answers to these questions, then you should be brave enough to eat down some 629 pages."😂😂

I'm of the same view that only diplomacy can result in a positive resolution of disputes. I don't think there's any winner in war, lives are lost and this is not a good thing. Even though the book was lengthy, Berrah's storytelling prowess made it easy for me to enjoy the story to the end, as I find it so difficult to read memoirs but it wasn't the case with this one. Berrah's life story was an inspirational one. I especially loved how the Christians and Muslims in Ivory Coast's capital city (is it Abuja or?) were able to peacefully coexist while working together to build the mosque and the church. I also can't forget how the couple lived together for all those years in great love and support while each was faithful to their individual religion. It was great learning about the great man that President Felix was. Also got surprised to know that Haile Selassie was overthrown from this book. This is my favorite memoir so far. Thanks Chris for this amazing review!
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: Silent Legacy by P J Maughan

Post by Rob Carr »

Thanks for the solid review. I am amazed that a 629 page book could have no errors!
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:

Post by Chris Agbara »

Blackstenius wrote: 15 May 2023, 13:44 "Thus, if you are seeking answers to these questions, then you should be brave enough to eat down some 629 pages."😂😂

I'm of the same view that only diplomacy can result in a positive resolution of disputes. I don't think there's any winner in war, lives are lost and this is not a good thing. Even though the book was lengthy, Berrah's storytelling prowess made it easy for me to enjoy the story to the end, as I find it so difficult to read memoirs but it wasn't the case with this one. Berrah's life story was an inspirational one. I especially loved how the Christians and Muslims in Ivory Coast's capital city (is it Abuja or?) were able to peacefully coexist while working together to build the mosque and the church. I also can't forget how the couple lived together for all those years in great love and support while each was faithful to their individual religion. It was great learning about the great man that President Felix was. Also got surprised to know that Haile Selassie was overthrown from this book. This is my favorite memoir so far. Thanks Chris for this amazing review!
Thanks for stopping by and throwing more light on the book.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
CHUKWUMA AGOHUKOH
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by CHUKWUMA AGOHUKOH »

Dr. Berrah's memoir will, without any doubt, go on to be an inspiration to all patriotic citizens in African countries and even in other countries that are somewhat war-torn in the Middle east. Thanks for this amazing review.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A MEMORY BY DR GHOULEM BERRAH A PEACE ACTIVIST DIPLOMAT WHO TALKS ABOUT HIS PEACE EFFORTS IN AFRICA, THE MIDDLE EAST, BETWEEN ISRAELIANS AND PALESTINIANS IN 1976.
A BOOK FOR FANS OF PEACE.
Hammed Sodiq Oluwakemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holuwa-kemi-sola.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Hammed Sodiq Oluwakemi »

Excellent review.
An historic book that expounds on the practical and applicable wisdom of living a life of purpose.
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

In this memoir Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.seems to capture his pursuit of peace sparing no efforts as a freedom fighter, scientist, diplomat, and peace activist. Wonderful initiative to put pen to paper on this especially at a time like this in the world scenario torn with rife. I am for peace and interfaith dialogue and I hope to read this sometime. Chris Agbara you have written the review so well! You deserve a part on the back for reading the book all the way and turning in this review! Well done!!
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah achieved so much in his life, working for peace. He is an amazing role model with the capability to influence many people. His great faith must have carried him through. I was impressed with the thorough book review. Well done!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Yay! You did it. Congratulations on making the 629 pages feat, as a historical memoir it might have been long but the writing makes you read forward. I had exact same feeling, like a history lesson. But the contributions made by Dr. Bereah are noteworthy, leaving US post to find his calling, brilliant.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Fugitiva
Bookshelf Size: 2422
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: An Unlamented Death by Mary Adler
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

You are completely right: dialogue is an essential tool for maintaining peace both on a small and big scale. And this book, indeed, has special relevance given the violent conflict in Ukraine.
Great review!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Chris Agbara wrote: 02 May 2023, 10:35 However, one of the drawbacks of the book is that it is very long and detailed, which might make it hard for some readers to follow or stay interested.
This is the main reason this book is still on my list to read but I haven't tackled it yet. It sounds like Dr. Berrah was born for such a time as this. I look forward to this learning experience, and I think I am now
brave enough to eat down some 629 pages.
:D

Thank you for your engaging and thorough recommendation!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:

Post by Chris Agbara »

MsH2k wrote: 19 May 2023, 19:55
Chris Agbara wrote: 02 May 2023, 10:35 However, one of the drawbacks of the book is that it is very long and detailed, which might make it hard for some readers to follow or stay interested.
This is the main reason this book is still on my list to read but I haven't tackled it yet. It sounds like Dr. Berrah was born for such a time as this. I look forward to this learning experience, and I think I am now
brave enough to eat down some 629 pages.
:D

Thank you for your engaging and thorough recommendation!
Thanks for stopping by! I hope the made book will move from your "to be read" to "already read"

Trust me, it will be worth your time.
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: Eternity by Carlos

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

Hi there! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review of this memoir. While I agree that there were a few boring parts, I personally found them to be short-lived and didn't detract from the overall experience. One key takeaway for me was the profound importance of dialogue and communication. This book truly underscores the art of effective communication. It made me realize that if we could all engage in simple conversations and genuinely understand each other's perspectives, the world would undoubtedly be a much better place. Thank you for sharing your insightful thoughts on this remarkable memoir!
Rosandra Hosein
Latest Review: Eternity by Carlos

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”