Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Obiocha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-obiocha.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Amanda Obiocha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fantasy novel that centers on politics in Voulhire. The author stressed that the book was not a traditional novel but an introductory book to set the stage for a magical story. Seeing it through those eyes, I thought it was a well-thought-out book. It started with a king sending his sons off from the palace to make them worthy of the throne and not turn them into enemies of themselves on the quest for the throne. Galen, a young man from the Land of Princes, gets a letter inviting him to Voulhire. His uncle is sick, and he is to run his business.

The author introduces every character and city in the book, not just giving importance to the main characters, which makes the book slow but also makes the reader see the beauty of the kingdom and its surroundings. Galen Bray, the main character in this novel, is to inherit his uncle’s business, which will change his life in the city of Magnum Caelum.

I liked how the author was unpredictable and his attention to detail in his descriptions of the kingdoms, the people, their craft, and the politics surrounding the kingdoms. Reading from different people’s perspectives made me enjoy the book more, and the writer did a good job in that aspect. I also liked how the sailor wasn’t discriminatory towards Galen, as he felt alone on the voyage, and how he made everyone see the beauty in their choice of destination and purpose.

The plot of the book was intriguing, and there was just the right amount of suspense to keep the reader interested without getting confused. Although I disliked how the king had to distance his family from himself just because he felt they were power hungry and the decisions that he made, even with his reasoning, were poor.

There was little or no grammatical error, showing that the book was properly edited, and for this, I applaud the author. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy fantasy novels and have wild imaginations. This would be a great book to try out. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.I hope other readers enjoy the book as much as I did.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Janet Mandy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-mandy.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janet Mandy »

The review was beautifully written. The experience I felt while reading was out of this world. I like how this review was written. The negative aspects were properly outlined. Congrats.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I relate to Galen, even though he is from a sci-fi novel and fictional. He had to leave everything that he had ever known behind. He was moving toward a better life, but, still.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I enjoyed the book from a creative point of view. I thought the author put a lot of work into creating such an in-depth story, although the amount of characters and storylines became a little overwhelming at times.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”