Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
John Kingsley Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The author of Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa is Tina Dreffin. She provided readers with a firsthand account of her and her family's trip to Africa and information about herself.

Because Tina and her family enjoyed traveling, they did so frequently. She was exposed to the world of ships and the oceans by her husband, Peter. She had a difficult beginning, but she soon fell in love with the sailing way of life. In this book, Tina describes South African culture. After learning of the violence in Durban while on a safari with her family, she and the group eventually sailed from Cape Town to St. Helena. They learned a great deal about the island's history. Before embarking on one of their sailing excursions, they made arrangements for two of their son's friends to accompany them. Tina showed patience and persistence while surrounded by young men keen to be heard. A copy of this book is highly recommended if you want to discover more about her family's travels.

Readers were made aware of the author's tragic experiences. I was on the verge of crying when I heard about the sexual harassment she endured. The majority of the time, victims find it difficult to describe their ordeals. This is because they despise the possibility of facing criticism. I greatly respect the author because she shared this experience with readers without worrying about other people's thoughts. Kruger National Park was one of the places they visited that most piqued my curiosity. I was intrigued by their interactions with various wild animals.

I found the book to have some impressive features. The photos were a nice touch and helped me visualize some of the locations they visited, as well as her family. I was impressed by the author's bravery in facing her concerns. She also informed readers that having anxieties and trepidations is normal. Her writing was of the highest caliber. She regularly compares what she observes or feels with other things the reader may be familiar with in her writing, using straightforward language and a highly descriptive approach. The good and unpleasant parts of their journey were also revealed. I enjoyed how she and her spouse got along. Reading about his pleasant attitude made me grin since it seemed sincere. 

I'll give this memoir 5 out of 5 stars because I liked every chapter. I yearned to embark on an adventure after reading about theirs. I found no errors in this book, which indicates excellent editing. Nobody who reads it will be sorry they did.

I advise fans of adventure literature to read this book. This book would be ideal for readers who enjoy stories detailing family adventures. Additionally, Tina's story will be comforting to those who are going through or have experienced painful circumstances.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Osakwe Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-precious.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Osakwe Precious »

One can easily see Tinas deep love and respect for the ocean and the natural world are evident throughout the book, inspiring readers to develop a deeper connection with nature.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”